Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Switching Food

A

AmyAndSimba

Simba is coming home in a few weeks!

There is a big sale on the food he will be eating, yay! I am going to stock up now.

Well, my question is if you are getting a new kitten, how long would you wait before making a change in diet? I have heard different breeders mention anywhere from 2-4 weeks. Maybe it would depend on how quickly the kitten adjusts? I would like to switch to a higher quality food sooner than later. Let me know what you guys think.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
For all 3 of mine, I waited about 3 days which was the time it took for them to recover from the flight to my house. I gradually added more raw to their food for a few days and when they started eating the raw and leaving the other stuff, I stopped feeding the other stuff. I never had a problem with diarrhea while they adjusted to the new diet but every cat is different. Sometime poops can be a bit soft for the first week or two on a new diet until their systems adjust.

I think it's a good idea to get cats used to 2 or 3 different foods if you're feeding commercially prepared food. If one is discontinued or ingredients change and the cat stops eating it, there is a backup or two without having to go through the gradual change again. I know people who mix a few different brands together for meals for that reason.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I waited about a week and gradually switched over - the operative word is gradual ;) Today I bought Earthborn Holistic canned and a couple of different canned foods to have some backups as Deborah mentioned. Zuri LOVES Earthborn, even though she eats whole prey and Taj sniffed and walked away...