Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Polydactyl Savannah (Ayanai)

Arinelle

Savannah Super Cat
As I am a new savannah servant, I haven't found anything in my research on whether or not this is common in savannahs. As I was basking in her radiance tonight, I noticed she had an extra claw on both of her front feet, bring the deadly weapon count to 22. I know it is somewhat rare in cats and perhaps someone here could shed some light on the situation. I will get a pic as soon as her royal highness allows me to take a pic.

Edit: nevermind, apparently I cannot count and she isn't.

Last edited:

John Popp

Site Supporter
Nifty is actually just a codename, such as the moose flies at midnight or the chicken is in the pot. Personally I like it, but the minx is still exercising her veto power. Other names in contention are Kona and Gibson.

Also, I counted the toesies, and they were absolutely the correct amount. Perhaps that has something to do with driving 6 hours and the stinking Jakes frown upon tipping a few while behind the wheel.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
As I am a new savannah servant, I haven't found anything in my research on whether or not this is common in savannahs. As I was basking in her radiance tonight, I noticed she had an extra claw on both of her front feet, bring the deadly weapon count to 22. I know it is somewhat rare in cats and perhaps someone here could shed some light on the situation. I will get a pic as soon as her royal highness allows me to take a pic.

Edit: nevermind, apparently I cannot count and she isn't.

Polydactyl feet are not common, nor desired, in Savannahs. Unless a breeder uses a cat with the trait in their breeding program, Savannahs will have the normal count of toes. In fact, it is cause for disqualification in cat shows for Savannahs to have them. I know of only one breeder who produces polydactyl Savannah kittens, and there are several kittens from that cattery on this forum with extra toes :)

Don't worry...I once swore one of my cats had a double nail on one toe. What happened is, I clipped the nail tip and it stuck to the side of the trimmed nail, and it took me a few secs to realize she did not have two nails on one toe ;)

I was completely sober at the time.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Don't sweat it. Deborah and RascalDad have been known to count as many as 10 claws on a foot, 8 legs and a pair of tails on their cats. Rascal gets locked in a cage until he sobers up and I'm not exactly sure if Deborah ever does.
I sober up long enough to know that i'd never name a cat "nifty." Really John, Nifty? And you keep casting aspersions on RDs character and mine?
Pot, Kettle. Kettle, Pot.
Just look who's talking. Takes one to know one!:p (And then you drag Deb in on this. She has been keeping a low profile lately, and now you stirred her up!)

Arinelle

Savannah Super Cat
You all definitely made me feel much better about miscounting her toes. What happened was her dewclaw (not sure on the spelling) is very prominent, and I have never seen that on a cat. So my friend mentioned she could be polydactyl. I posted on here and went to find out more....but I am now laughing at the posts here, so many thanks.