Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Elsa Under the Weather... Opinions Please!

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
This morning when I woke up, Elsa was sleeping on the floor on one of Jake's old bed's and when I checked on her she was kind of inattentive. I went to take a shower (my usual schedule) and she did not follow me as she always does. I checked on her before going to church and she seemed ok, but not wanting to move around a lot. After Church I got home and she was in the same place, except this time her paws were VERY VERY Cold.... I immediately took her to the emergency vet and they got her warmed back up noting that her body temp was much lower than Normal. They did Ex-ray's and did not see anything unusual, they checked her for fluid's being in different places that it shouldn't be. Did an ultrasound and found nothing. The big problem is her Blood work that I do not fully understand. I sent them to Rascal-Dad and he had some medical notations that I don't fully understand but she is certainly under the weather and not playing at this time. Once we got home first thing that she wanted to do was to eat and I let her do that and she is now eating again, so I call that a good sign.

See attachment for what they did at the Emergency Vet with the Blood Work results.

Last night before bed she was fine, this morning she was not.

One last request.... For anyone who believes in God and Believe in the power of Prayer, please pray for Elsa...

Attachments

• Elsa_DR_Visit0707.pdf
    224.8 KB · Views: 20

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
John, I hope Elsa improves on her own. However, I'm sure you're going to make an appt. with her regular vet to discuss the results of blood work right? I'm attaching a link to an explanation of the codes on the bloodwork and obviously since I'm not a vet, I have no idea what is causing her to feel under the weather. I am always cautious, though, when I see elevated liver count as it could indicate liver issues. So, be sure you consult with your regular vet asap.
http://www.allfelinehospital.com/blood-work-explanation.pml

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Could Elsa have gotten in contact with something toxic?

http://www.2ndchance.info/normaldogandcatbloodvalues.htm is my go-to for interpreting bloodwork that isn't immediately obvious.

From those values I assume the most worrying was the very high ALT value indicating liver damage (with multiple causes outlined on the weblink I included).
The high RDW and low MCV alternatively seem to indicate a possible issue with hemolytic or iron deficient anemia. I don't know if that might be related, as I imagine that there might be toxins that damage blood cells too.

I think it positive news that warming up Elsa and giving fluids perked her up enough to be eager to eat when she got home. It may be one of those situations where supportive care (the fluids and warming) was enough to get her past the worst of it. I am very sure you will be keeping a close eye on Elsa this evening now, and I will be praying that the morning brings positive news.

Agreed with Witchy that you should contact your vet tomorrow and possibly take her in for a check there also.

Sean

Site Supporter
John your both in my thoughts.

80-pyong_raposa_fox_17_42148f79b10282940f51cec764ce99455b8d603e.gif

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
John, I hope Elsa improves on her own. However, I'm sure you're going to make an appt. with her regular vet to discuss the results of blood work right? I'm attaching a link to an explanation of the codes on the bloodwork and obviously since I'm not a vet, I have no idea what is causing her to feel under the weather. I am always cautious, though, when I see elevated liver count as it could indicate liver issues. So, be sure you consult with your regular vet asap.
http://www.allfelinehospital.com/blood-work-explanation.pml

Over night she improved immensely... As for her regular vet, they are 4 1/2 hours away and have still be shopping for a good vet so to speak... I am going to follow up because something caused it... and wow, she is certainly earning her middle name (Mujizza) Himalayan for Miracle!

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Brigitte for some reason I cannot quote your message, here is my reply.

I am going to follow up with the doctor and see what they have to say, yesterday the subject did not come up, but I intend to bring it up. It took her a while to get perked up and I turned up her side of the bed on the Electric Blanket to help give her a little more warmth (I usually keep it on 3 for her, but it has 2 layers to go through.. Last night I turned it up to 5 and she was ok with that until about 4 or 5 and at that point she decided to go out on her normal morning tours!

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Thanks for the support from everyone... Elsa is doing fine today and returning to her normal self... But I am not going to let it go at that... Going to get her a local vet ASAP and figure out why this happened in the first place. there was no mention on Toxins, but I want to follow up on that as well.