Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Zoomies...

Suzanne H

Savannah Super Cat
What I would like to know is when your SV gets the zoomies, how do you handle it? I mean, I've read about decor getting knocked down etc. What do you do, not decorate except with SV friendly items?
Can they be taught to not to bounce off the walls?
Erik, my husband, is a European Taxidermist, so we have a few trophies on the walls, and I know he would freak if something happened to them.
So, now I'm trying to figure out how to accomadate having an SV, with all of this.
Thanks,
Suzanne

admin

Paige
Staff member
Mine stay off wall things. They aren't THAT bad!

Mine do as well - almost...for the first time, I had to remove a painting on the bedroom wall because Zuri tried to walk across the top of it at 4 am one morning...that was a disaster :(

Kristine

What I would like to know is when your SV gets the zoomies, how do you handle it? I mean, I've read about decor getting knocked down etc. What do you do, not decorate except with SV friendly items?
Can they be taught to not to bounce off the walls?
Erik, my husband, is a European Taxidermist, so we have a few trophies on the walls, and I know he would freak if something happened to them.
So, now I'm trying to figure out how to accomadate having an SV, with all of this.
Thanks,
Suzanne
I usually try and divert their attention with a wand toy. The best thing is another Savannah to zoom with though (-:

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
Kovu's zoomies aren't to the extent where he is knocking stuff off the wall. Usually there is running INTO the wall, or running into the couch, food bowl, ect. lol

Julie

Savannah Super Cat
Mine doesn't go high up with his... well besde doors.

He runs and jumps off walls or couches, but always within 3 ft or so of the ground. Just put up high or fixed to something to be safe.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
My house is bare of anything breakable, including paintings on my walls that were there for years before I had Savannahs. I just had one leaping for my ceiling fan this evening - thank goodness she can't jump that high - yet!

Suzanne H

Savannah Super Cat
LOL Patti,
That's what I am hoping I don't have to do, but if so oh well.
I keep reading the phrase "perpetual toddler" and all I can think of is my 2 year old daughter, Tank, that's what Erik calls her. So, if I can deal with her, I think I can deal with the antics of an SV.
Now I just have to fully decide what gen. I want and whether male or female. Geeze decisions decisions.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Whenever I talk to a potential new Savannah owner I always warn them that they need to child proof their homes from floor to ceiling because like a small child they will get into everything, but unlike a small child they can also jump! I actually have chains on my cabinets above the counter because they are apparently irresistible to my Savannahs, and I couldn't devise a less drastic method that could keep the cats out!