Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Wobbly, can barely walk, just started eating again

meowinNH

Savannah Teenager
I'm a first time poster so I really appreciate any insight or experience you can share. My F5 male is 6 months old came down with cloudy eyes 2 weeks ago. After a round of antibiotics, he improved but his energy went downhill and became wobbly. He's been to the pet ER/vet 3 times and has received fluids, is on forced feedings b/c he had stopped eating and finally started eating on his own. In the 2 wk period, though, his energy is extremely low and it has gotten to the point where his muscles wont support him and he keeps collapsing. He is hydrated, has received IV fluids and continues to get syringe water to be sure. Full blood panel came back normal, and treated for toxoplasmosis with clindamycin for the last 48 hours, but no success. He also has in the past bumped into things a lot, which we thought was endearing and harmless. He's going in for a bile acid test tonight, and my fear is FIP, but we've read about kitty strokes as well. The vet/ER (my vet is also an ER place) said to hold off on a neuro visit til we rule out a liver shunt (bile acid test). I'm trying to maintain hope, but am getting really scared about how bad off he is. He just wants to rest in my arms. Please let me know if you have any experience or words of encouragement to share in this tough time. Sorry for the long post...

Todd L

Savannah Super Cat
Im so sorry to hear your F5 is not doing well. I hope he bounces back quickly. Im fairly new to this breed so i cant give much insight into this only my prayers. Keep close eye on this post though as this site has great breeders with tons of knowledge. Again i hope he bounces back soon and everything works out fine.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I am so sorry about your F5...I know Dr. Per is away and won't be able to check in...but some of the other breeders should be able to chip in here...

have any other tests been done? Any fluid extracted to check for Corona? Any ultrasound done?

M

MK Anderson

I'm really sorry your kitty is not doing well! My thoughts and prayers to you all!!

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
I'm a first time poster so I really appreciate any insight or experience you can share. My F5 male is 6 months old came down with cloudy eyes 2 weeks ago. After a round of antibiotics, he improved but his energy went downhill and became wobbly. He's been to the pet ER/vet 3 times and has received fluids, is on forced feedings b/c he had stopped eating and finally started eating on his own. In the 2 wk period, though, his energy is extremely low and it has gotten to the point where his muscles wont support him and he keeps collapsing. He is hydrated, has received IV fluids and continues to get syringe water to be sure. Full blood panel came back normal, and treated for toxoplasmosis with clindamycin for the last 48 hours, but no success. He also has in the past bumped into things a lot, which we thought was endearing and harmless. He's going in for a bile acid test tonight, and my fear is FIP, but we've read about kitty strokes as well. The vet/ER (my vet is also an ER place) said to hold off on a neuro visit til we rule out a liver shunt (bile acid test). I'm trying to maintain hope, but am getting really scared about how bad off he is. He just wants to rest in my arms. Please let me know if you have any experience or words of encouragement to share in this tough time. Sorry for the long post...

Help us out here: Has he been tested for Felv/FIV? If his blood panel and proteins all came back normal I would not suspect FIP since that typically shows protein values out of whack. Also seems odd to me that the vet suspects a liver issue since I would guess that any issue with the Liver would also affect his blood work. These symptoms are so odd... I'm sorry I can't be of some help. Cloudy eyes and neurological issues, weakness yet responds to antibiotics. Please keep us up to date and I pray the vets get to the bottom of it.

Lori

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yes, that makes sense Lori as far as FIP goes...I really hope the vet finds out quickly what the issue is...

Patty

Breeding Savannahs for the Home
I have never heard of these symptoms but wanted to say I hope they find out what is wrong quickly!

D

Dantes

He just wants to rest in my arms. Please let me know if you have any experience or words of encouragement to share in this tough time. Sorry for the long post...

I've started writing this several times now but end up being too sad to post. I hope your baby gets better. In my experience, when you can't do anything else for them, letting them rest in your arms and being with them is the best gift you can give.

I really hope they figure this out soon. Hopefully someone here will have ideas too.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
When you say 'full blood panel' what does that mean? Did they run a CBC and CMP? Were there any abnormal values? Did they PCR test for upper respiratory and/or GI infections? When you say the eyes were cloudy, does that mean they had drainage, or actually looked clouded over like cataracts? How recently did the weakness start? What antibiotics did you give him?

I literally had a kitten come back from the dead recently, so don't give up hope yet - he may just need to recuperate from his recent illness.