Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

What brand grinder do you use?

barbja

Savannah Super Cat
For those of you that make your own raw food, what brand grinder do you use?

I just ordered all the required vitamins, so I'm at the 'order the grinder' step. I've seen at least one person mention a Tasin from the Jerky Shop. It's about $170. There are several on amazon that look similar but cost only $100. Are the actually the same, or do you get what you pay for?

Does the Tasin really have stainless cutting parts like the description says? I know most of them on A. don't say anything at all about that, and their reviews say that they're iron ( or whatever -- something that isn't recommended to go in the dishwasher).

Any opinions?

Trish Allearz

My Mom has the Tasin and yes, I do believe the parts are stainless steel. Realistically, a grinder that will cut through bones is much more expensive then the Tasin. If you read any groups who feed raw, they all recommend the Tasin. I'm going to assume if you buy a cheaper grinder, you'll be looking for a replacement much quicker then you'd want.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
I read some of the reviews on that second grinder you posted the link to, and almost all of them say that the blades get bogged down with fat and sinew. I have never once had this issue with my Tasin in the 5 or so years I have had it. Do you have that problem with it, Paige?

M

MK Anderson

For those of you that make your own raw food, what brand grinder do you use?

I just ordered all the required vitamins, so I'm at the 'order the grinder' step. I've seen at least one person mention a Tasin from the Jerky Shop. It's about $170. There are several on amazon that look similar but cost only $100. Are the actually the same, or do you get what you pay for?

Does the Tasin really have stainless cutting parts like the description says? I know most of them on A. don't say anything at all about that, and their reviews say that they're iron ( or whatever -- something that isn't recommended to go in the dishwasher).

Any opinions?
NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME!!! DONT ORDER THE 100.00 ONE. spend the extra money. I ordered it and end up ordering the Tasin, urggg. I would have to stop all the time, because the food would get stuck in there. With the tasin it has NEVER happened...you get what you pay for!!

admin

Paige
Staff member
I read some of the reviews on that second grinder you posted the link to, and almost all of them say that the blades get bogged down with fat and sinew. I have never once had this issue with my Tasin in the 5 or so years I have had it. Do you have that problem with it, Paige?

\Nope, I have not had that problem...it worked like a champ.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
My Mom has the Tasin and yes, I do believe the parts are stainless steel. Realistically, a grinder that will cut through bones is much more expensive then the Tasin. If you read any groups who feed raw, they all recommend the Tasin. I'm going to assume if you buy a cheaper grinder, you'll be looking for a replacement much quicker then you'd want.

I have a Tasin- I need the blade with the wider wholes. I didn't get that one for some reason. Can one order new blade_screen things?

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
My first grinder was one I found on a doggy raw foods site. They promised that it would chop bone, at least smaller bones. It totally crashed and burned at 6 months just when the warrantee ended! I called the distributor and gave him and earfull for recommending a grinder that is crap. Once I spent the little extra to get the Tasin, I realized that it cut my grinding time in half from what I was doing before. I know the American Eagle is really good but it is very pricy. It will grind your mother in law!
The Eagle is about $500.

Trish Allearz

Mom fed her tasin metal and stripped the gears inside, but bought new ones. So I am sure you can getother parts.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2