Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Vomiting

MJM

Savannah Teenager
Hi all,

Our F5 Nala, about 2, has been having vomiting issues recently. It always happens shortly after eating and typically consists mostly of undigested kibble. Her litter box activities are fine.

About 6 weeks ago we brought her in because it had happened maybe r times in 4 weeks. The vet largely recommended changing her diet from the high protein/zero grain kibble she's always had to a kibble designed for upset stomachs.

We did a small rum mixing her normal food with this other stuff (ideally I'd like to keep her on her traditional diet which had been okay for 18 months with us), and things seemed to have slowed down.

However, she's once again vomiting more frequently over the past 3 days.

I think our next step is perhaps to either do xray (or maybe MRI) and/blood work. Any recommendations from prior similar experiences?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
There are so many possibilities here it's hard to know where to start. Some cats just have more sensitive stomachs, and sometimes they start developing problems as adults. I have a Highlander who started frequently throwing up right after eating at eight years old - she is otherwise completely healthy.

I would consider getting a barium swallow to confirm there is not a partial obstruction. You might try giving her Pepcid to see if that doesn't settle her tummy. You might also consider giving her a very bland diet for a week or so consisting of plain boiled chicken with or without rice (the only time I ever recommend adding a grain to a diet) - you would have to add a supplement if you kept this up for any significant period of time.

I hope Nala starts improving and you can get to the bottom of whatever is plaguing her!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Agree with Patti! I have a Savannah doing the same thing...I think sometimes she eats too fast and then vomits everything up. Or it is the food she can no longer tolerate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
If you think that maybe she just is eating too fast, the slow feeder bowls for dogs work great for cats too... or feed the kibble in treat balls so she has to work to get the kibbles out, thus slowing her eating also. Changing to a canned or raw diet might also fix the issue...

Remi's Mommy

Site Supporter
If you think that maybe she just is eating too fast, the slow feeder bowls for dogs work great for cats too... or feed the kibble in treat balls so she has to work to get the kibbles out, thus slowing her eating also. Changing to a canned or raw diet might also fix the issue...
Most of kibble is just swallowed, they just don't chew most of it, plus it is highly processed and not very digestible. Do some research on other canned foods. Expect to pay about $2.50a can or more, once she is eating it all start mixing in some raw ( Darwins, Answers) are very good choices. Until she is eating mostly raw and in a couple months you will see a big difference. No more vomit,much less shedding, much better muscle tone, allergies disappear are just a few things you will notice after just a couple months .