Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Vocalizations

CortneyB613

Savannah Kitten
Aside from the "snake hiss", are there any noises that only Savannahs and Servals make?

And does does/can your Savannah meow like a regular domestic cat?

Our 10 month old male is quite the talker and makes some pretty interesting sounds, but I've never heard him meow like other cats... his brother is 9 weeks old and is finding his voice, which is more of a chirp/squeak than an actual meow.

If you guys have any videos of the noises that come from yours, I'd love to see them! :)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Chirping is pretty common with Savannahs and Servals, some of them make a chattering sound as well (like a chipmunk or a sugar glider). You can search YouTube for tapes of Savannah cats chirping or Savannah cat vocalizations.

Cathouse1

Site Supporter
Loki makes just about every sound you could imagine. From chirping to barking, howling to yelling, he is the most vocal cat we have had. They all have their own language, but he is especially expressive. I've been on conference calls and coworkers thought I was getting attached by a jackal.

SavannahLuv

Site Supporter
Shango can also be very vocal at times. He makes sounds I've never heard before lol! Occasionally he'll make a meow that sounds more like a regular cat, but most of the time he prefers chirping, hissing, growling & howling. When it's time for trimming his claws, he cries & howls so loud he can be heard from outside. He makes sure he's very vocal if he doesn't like something or if he's being ignored & wants my attention. He's also funny when he's playing with his toys, sometimes he hisses & growls at them. The snake hiss is definitely the most intimidating noise he makes to "strangers" as a warning when they get too close.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Rafiki's primary mode of communication is chatter. It is similar to what cats do when looking at birds except that it has a tone to it. When she wants our attention, she yowls.

Cathouse1

Site Supporter
He howls and yirps constantly, but if he sees ANYTHING alive through the window he chirps/clicks at it. I've seen servals do the same thing. I'm sure it's a primitive instinct. We have a lot of deer in our neighborhood, and several times I've interrupted his stalk. Not sure what he would do, but he seemed pretty intent on chasing it down. Sheesh!