Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Vaccine Education and Information

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Herman, I am very sorry for your loss.

Our f4 SBT boy, Mickey, was very sick almost exactly this time 2 years ago, and i am thankful every day that he is here with us.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Several is not the same as all. I didn't paint all bfeeders with any sort of brush.

Someone with malicious intent that sees they can fetch thousands if not tens for a high percentage kitten might very well put their financial gains ahead of the kittens.

My post was intended to bond and share with a community that cares about their pets, not an attack on "all breeders" or a vet tech's experience.

My cat died from lymphoma, of which FeLV is often an underlying factor. I'm not certain if FeLV was even involved.

And I have no issues with my breeder because I'm a trusting person like many others, but after seeing hundreds of "breeders" online, I have a strong feeling they aren't all worthy of that trust.

As for the ability for a cat to contract the infection, I think it's obvious you're not inviting alley cats over for play dates, but there are circumstance under which an indoor cat can contract the illness, even for those with no common sense it doesn't mean they can't be proactive about their cat's health.

And I'm fully aware of the carcinogenic impacts of repeated vaccinations in the same region.

I didn't make this post to argue on Savannah Cat Chat. Feel free to remove my post if it provides advice that you feel is contradictory to actual cat health.

I have no intentions of removing your post...no reason to...and it is really a great discussion to have, since I am sure others feel the same way you do. That being said...you are correct - not all breeders are the same and not all breeders truly care about the welfare of their cats/kittens...to some, it is a business, so I do understand your point. It just did not come across the way you meant it, I suspect.

FeLV/FIV testing is something some breeders test for and others don't...doesn't make them a good or bad breeder or mean they do not care about the health of their kittens or cats. I don't test for it - my cats do not go out, although Taj walks around my development with me on a leash...the others spend time in an outdoor enclosure on my deck - never come in contact with other animals...if I thought there was a reason to test, I would...

As for Lymphoma, there are many causes for it..

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Herman, my condolences on the loss of your boy. I cannot begin to imagine your heartache :( I am so sorry.

I don't routinely test kittens who leave for new homes, but each kitten receives two sets of age-appropriate vaccines and two vet health exams. All of my adult cats have been tested and are free of FELV/FIV. My veterinarians feel no need for kittens born from those cats to be tested. My cats are strictly indoors. I have had kitten customers in the past request a test, and I oblige. All have been negative, as expected.

The expense of caring for and keeping my cats healthy and happy usually outweighs any profit I receive from the sale of a kitten. I am happy if I break even for the year, and many years I do not, but I do this as a labor of love and the joy our cats bring us, and the joy our kittens bring to their new owners.

Yes, there are breeders out there who only care how much money they can bring in from kitten sales. The breeders on this forum are NOT in that group....and all of the forum members here...pet owners; breeders; future Savannah owners...care deeply about their Savannahs and share in each other's pain and happiness, including yours...

I hope with time your sorrow eases, and you can love and be loved by another Savannah or other kitten or cat. Has the breeder your kitten came from offered a replacement or any form of support to you?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Sometimes the needle will puncture a vein or artery when giving a vaccine, causing a hematoma (collection of blood) under the skin. This usually resolves in a matter of a few days to a few weeks. However, you should monitor the lump closely and if it get larger take her back to the vet asap. Was the vaccination given in the leg?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
We only noticed it yesterday and it's been a couple weeks :( She got two pokes that day so I'm actually not sure whether the rabies one was in the leg or behind the neck, but those were the two locations.
I'm under the impression that rabies are always given in the leg so that, in the case of a rare injection site sarcoma, the leg can be removed and the animal can live a healthy life. A lump that lasts a few weeks at an injection site is usually due to the body's immune reaction to the vaccine.

Katniss

And her brother Crazy !
Dear all:

It is with a very heavy heart that Katniss was diagnosed last Tuesday with FELV. It has been a roller coaster ride and we are doing all we can to keep her happy and loved. Our vet had us take her to the emergency room after her labs came back last week as her red blood count was at 8% and she had lost almost 3 pounds. The vet at the hospital was horrifying. She rambled on that she would need a blood transfusion to keep her alive long enough to try and diagnose the issue. Then told us they would take ex ray of chest and abdomen before hand in case they detected any masses.. We said of course, we want our baby to get better. So after going on and on about our commitment and the costs etc., she stated one more test needed to be performed before moving forward. FELV. Of course we had given the babies an FELV vaccine at one time because we were gong to try and take our for walks. Ha! poor Katniss walked like a drunken sailor and Crazy howled to go out all time so we gave that up. She came back with a huge smile and we hugged thinking she was negative. But then she said that Katniss was positive. We did a double take and of coursed cried and cried. It seems, so she states, that FELV can lay dormant in a kitty and just one day appear just like us with cancer. At this point, she stated the blood transfusion was not needed and she wanted to euthanize her then and there. What the heck... She is not a limp rag doll or even looking on death's doorway.. Only very thin and a little less active. We demanded our baby back and made an appointment with our vet for a quality of life evaluation. He told us to continue our prayers (which seems to be working!!) and we are giving her iron meds and vitamins along with a steroid. We also have a friend performing Rikki healing on her and continue to pray she makes it to her 5th birthday on the 27, then thru Christmas, the New Year and then some!:paw::drink:Love 2 We have done much reading on this virus (we thought originally this was a cancer) and many sites state with careful monitoring, vitamins etc. cats can live 2-3 years after diagnosis. Her half brother will not be tested as the result could change monthly. We are giving him vitamins to keep his immune system strong and he has probably built up an immunity to the virus.

If anyone has had any other experiences with this devastating virus, we would love to how you helped to keep your baby happy and loved for as long as possible.

We ask for your prayers and suggestions. Thank you!Love 2

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm very sorry to hear that Katniss has become ill. I hope that you have had the more sensitive IFA test to confirm FeLV, I have heard many stories of false positive FeLV tests that end up being negative when tested using the IFA method. Did you pursue a blood transfusion? A red blood count of 8% if only about 1/3 of what is normal in cats, I would be interested to know what your regular vet recommended regarding this.

Please keep us posted on how Katniss is doing.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I am so sorry. I will keep Katniss in my prayers... You too. keep us all posted on how Katniss is doing.

Katniss

And her brother Crazy !
So sorry I have not updated everyone! It has been a roller coaster ride! Our prayers (per our vet!!) have been answered and although Katniss is still positive, our Rikki healing and iron meds have brought up to 20% red blood cell count and she is eating well and being active! Yesterday she actually ate some dry food for the first time!!!! I continue the prednisone treatment with the vitamins and will follow up with the Vet in a month. While this was great news on Nov 22, we married on the 23rd and somehow the back door was left open and Crazy disappeared.. Downer for sure!! Ruined Thanksgiving although I had to have the reception and cook for everyone.. :( We put up flyers and walked the neighborhood for hours to no avail. Thursday passed, Friday passed, Saturday passed.. I did not know how sad and how much someone could cry. We were soooo sad. On the Sunday I prayed sooo hard and asked why Crazy should be sacrificed so our Katniss should live and suddenly there he was! By the back door. I ran to open and he ran back under the deck as we have a crawl space the whole underneath of the house. He was ALIVE!!! We tried to entice him with food to no avail.. We left the door open with his hammock and left a trail of food into the house. We went to lunch with Corey's brother who was in town for the wedding, ate fast and came home.. YES...dirty pawprints throughout the kitchen and he was hiding behind the couch! woohooooo! Stinky but looking good for four days under the house in the rain and cold. Took a nice warm shower and he slept for days in his favorite afghan on our bed. Praise God for his Blessing and we are all back on track. Except now Crazy howls at night soooo bad. I think it's PTSD. I have tried calming spray to no avail. Any suggestions would be great as I have to sleep in living room and keep him in bedroom so that I can sleep!! Crazy times for sure, but so grateful we are all together!! Thanks for listening! Your prayers are most definitely welcomed!!