Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Tubby Kovu

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
So.. Kovu is getting pretty tubby, as we like to call it.

He eats 1/2 a large can of Blue Buffalo for breakfast, 1/2 for lunch, and then 1 whole can for dinner. He also has Blue Buffalo Wilderness kibble left out throughout the day. I believe the feeding guide says 1 can per every 5lbs. Well.. Kovu is 12 lbs at 5 months old.

Is there some kind of weight guidelines for each generation? I know he is obviously going to be larger than the normal house cat, but seems a bit fatter too. He is always acting like he is starving, but I don't want to feed him too much. He was 5 lbs when we got him 3 months ago.

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 34

admin

Paige
Staff member
It could be all the kibble he is eating, Ashley!!!...Really, he is still a kitten and should be able to eat as much as he wants, but...he may not be getting enough exercise to burn it all off or he is just eating too much...maybe cut out the kibble? or feed him twice a day? Believe me, he will not starve.

Thank you for your post, as I haven't seen one on portions before. I feed Zeus wet food in the morning and in the evening. And he has access to kibble all day. He has put on quiet a bit of weight since I first got him. But he is growing to keep pace. I can still feel his spine not drastically but I still can. Zeus is non stop play most of the day and he is only 12 wks old now ... Should I be feeding him more? Or something different. He gets about a 1/5 of can (13.2 oz size) of Innova cat and kitten food. And his kibble is Royal Camin kitten 36. I've read several post on raw and not sure that is way I want to go with him, but am sure can cross that bridge later. What is healthy for a savanna body shape wise especially for such an active breed?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Rob, kittens should be able to eat as much as they want, since they are so active...there are lots of different opinions on this subject and I am moving this post to the diet thread...

When feeding raw, it has been said to feed 3-6 ounces...I have never fed mine that little as they are still growing. I feed 1 oz/pound. However, like anything else, just cut back as they get older and slow down, if you see them putting on weight.

Zuri eats and eats and eats and is extremely muscular and svelte ;) But she never stops moving except when she is sleeping...She has been running on her cat wheel ion and off for hours today..I feed her whatever she wants, since she needs the calories.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
It could be all the kibble he is eating, Ashley!!!...Really, he is still a kitten and should be able to eat as much as he wants, but...he may not be getting enough exercise to burn it all off or he is just eating too much...maybe cut out the kibble? or feed him twice a day? Believe me, he will not starve.
When we got him his breeder said to leave kibble out for him all the time. Which is why we left it out. He doesn't seem to eat too much of it tho, its the wet food he really wants.
He is pretty active. Well, while we are home anyway. He runs around like a maniac at 6 am until I leave for work around 10. And when I get home shortly after 5:30pm he is bouncing off the walls again.

Michelle Anderson

Savannah Super Cat
Shyla eats a lot too! But she is still quite thin, and tall. I leave the kibble out all day, and it seems she eats small amounts about 50 times a day. :p She's eating TOTW, and really doesn't like Innova kitten(that's what I tried with her when we first got her) TOTW is what my other cats were eating...so they both seem happy with that...as far as cans, I give her a half can of Felidae Cat and Kitten in the morning and half at night. She acts like she's hungry all the time..lol When she went to vet last month she weighed 12 lbs and she was 6 months, but she is nice and slim....I think it's because she is sooooooo active; running at full speed through the house, jumping off walls...just being a nut!;)

admin

Paige
Staff member
There are different schools of thought on leaving down kibble. There are a couple of threads here on that as well...I used to leave it down but no longer do, except for Cisco because that is all he eats. But he still only gets 1/4 cup in morning and 1/4 cup at night...Zuri does not eat kibble...she eats whole prey and some of whatever Taj eats. Taj eats whatever - Proplan, Feline's Pride...but he only gets fed twice a day as he is almost 3 years old and a big boy - he can lose a pound or two.

I take my vets advice - if they are gaining weight, cut back on the food...

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
There are different schools of thought on leaving down kibble. There are a couple of threads here on that as well...I used to leave it down but no longer do, except for Cisco because that is all he eats. But he still only gets 1/4 cup in morning and 1/4 cup at night...Zuri does not eat kibble...she eats whole prey and some of whatever Taj eats. Taj eats whatever - Proplan, Feline's Pride...but he only gets fed twice a day as he is almost 3 years old and a big boy - he can lose a pound or two.

I take my vets advice - if they are gaining weight, cut back on the food...

The last time we were at the vet he was just shy of 10 lbs & she just said, "Oh he is still a kitten".
I am going to take away the kibble & see if that helps. I just thought I'd get others opinions before changing anything.