Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

They've discovered dirt

Laura W

Savannah Super Cat
Problem is, it use to be in the houseplants. Other than rocks on top of the soil, any suggestions to keep them out? Don't seem to be using them as a litter box as there is no poo, but boy is there a mess every morning and when I get home from work. Must smell like kitty paws since the dog is now tipping over the plants looking for something to munch on. :eek: These critter are like living with a pack of 2 yr olds! :roflmao:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think I read somewhere that orange peels deter kitties, you strew them around the base of the potted plant.

I think I've also read about putting a layer of aluminum foil across the soil around the plant and then put the rocks on top to cover it?

I can't imagine being able to keep a plant in the house...I gave that up years ago as it wouldn't just be digging in the soil, it would be chewing on the plant...or knocking it down and dragging about the house. My F2 Bobo years ago used to go stay with a good friend when we'd go away for a weekend..... the friend fortunately found it very amusing that every day at least a couple times he'd hear a thud, and see a very satisfied Bobo strut around. Go into the living room and find that he'd managed to launch himself to the top of the indoor tree and bring it down. He'd put it upright and the fun would begin again...

DChap

Site Supporter
I do use rocks i bought at home depot but also spray them and plants with homemade concoction of peppered water.

Laura W

Savannah Super Cat
The plants are fine, with the exception of the miniature date palms. They love playing with the fronds. Oh, and the pony tail palm is taking a beating from being knocked over repeatedly.

Orange peels, Monte the bassett/doxie would tip it over just to eat them.....he eats everything that from fruit to veggies. Might have to do the rocks, Home Depot should have them in a few days.

How much pepper, and cayenne pepper I'm assuming, to water? Great idea. I forgot I use to do herb infused water to spray plants for mites.

Then again, maybe I just need to get rid of every thing and buy bamboo! ;)