Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

The F1-F3 Myth

admin

Paige
Staff member
Obviously there were a broad range of things that weren't quite living up to the stereotypical examples we had read about. Although I believe there is some level of truth to the claims, there is also such a broad range of what a kitten will become it's not at all very useful. Generally the remarks on breeders sites are very thoroughly qualified that the kitten you get and the cat you end up with are covered.

John, I think that is because they continue to change as they mature...now that I have raised Ixas and Cinny from birth, I can see it much more so than getting Taj as a 12 week old...they were with me from day 1...all my kittens were big babies and spoiled...played with them more times a day than I can remember, but mainly held them, kissed them and hugged them...held them upside down, played with their toes, trimmed their nails from 3 days old, etc.

And now they are 10 months old...sweet as anything, can be held by anyone, have been to shows where they are held, touched and played with by children; been to the vet's office and entertained the waiting room - held there also by everyone...my vet can cuddle both of them, no matter what...MUCH different than either Zuri or Taj...however...they are both very attached to each other and their mother...I still hold them and kiss them and hold them upside down and every which way...they have NEVER bitten, hissed or clawed at me...but after about 10 sec, they want to get down, although Cinny, I can carry around from room to room...Ixas is too big ;)

So I think some of it is max socialization and some is individual kitten personality...

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
I don't have a whole lot of experience with F1s-F2s, and I may have just lucked out, but my F3 is one of the most good natured sweet tempered kittens I have ever been around. He LOVES people and cries and cries when he is alone. He's the envy of every person I bring him around INCLUDING my dad who isn't a big cat person. I have had cats my whole life growing up, and I used to foster kittens for about one or two years when I was in school. This breed seems to bring out the most in the characteristics you love about cats. My 10 week old is currently asleep on my chest after playing on my laptop for half an hour. I managed to sneak a picture of him being a derp.

Attachments

• Photo on 5-18-13 at 3.39 PM.jpg
    Photo on 5-18-13 at 3.39 PM.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 36

admin

Paige
Staff member
I don't have a whole lot of experience with F1s-F2s, and I may have just lucked out, but my F3 is one of the most good natured sweet tempered kittens I have ever been around. He LOVES people and cries and cries when he is alone. He's the envy of every person I bring him around INCLUDING my dad who isn't a big cat person. I have had cats my whole life growing up, and I used to foster kittens for about one or two years when I was in school. This breed seems to bring out the most in the characteristics you love about cats. My 10 week old is currently asleep on my chest after playing on my laptop for half an hour. I managed to sneak a picture of him being a derp.

Matt, that is so adorable!

Green eyed kitty

Mystique the dog/cat;Seraphimah spunky kitty
Have an older cat, and decided to add a kitten to the family. Originally was searching for a Bengal and came across the Savannah Breed. Read the good and bad stories, all over the internet. I was pregnant at the time and was uncertain with all the negative stories I read, if a Savannah cat would be a good addition to our home. (Specially with another child on the way).

I found a few breeders, in town and on the island here. I decided to contact and meet with the breeder that was farthest from our house, because what she 'said'... put my mind at ease about the Savannah breed.

We went to visit her cats, and played with their F1 Savannah. She was a big cat and watched us like a hawk. Our son got right in there, and started to play and run through the house with their cat. I saw how they interacted and felt comfortable enough to want to have a Savannah.

Met many of their other ctas, and at the time one of their females was expecting future kittens. I loved the look of both the father and mother. I was originally set on an F2 or F1, but fell in love with the expecting parents. So put down a deposit on the future F4 kittens.

We were kept informed on how the parents were doing, and then the exciting day arrived when all three kittens were born. I picked Mystique, because she played well with our son. This was very important for our children and the baby we were expecting soon.

I almost brought home Mystique and her sister (a melanistic), but decided to see how one Savannah cat was, first.

Now I am so impressed with the Savannah breed. We are now on our Breeders wait list for the next F2 kittens. I absolutely loved the Breeders F1 Savannah cat, and cant wait to add another Savannah to our home.

Found the Savannah Cat Chat site a few months ago, and have learned so much on this forum. You are all so friendly, knowledgeable, and I have learned so much about the Savannah breed on here. There are many myths out on the net about Savannah's. This forum, plus owning a Savannah cat has helped me learn how loving, intelligent, and fun Savannah's are.

I love the way Mystique has become part of our family and I wouldn't change anything. :)

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
My F3 savannah is very friendly, and I would not hesitate to get a F1 kitten as long as it was bottle fed and socialized with people and other animals.....I'm planning on getting a F1 male kitten. :) I feel they should be spayed or neutered also if they are just a pet....It does calm them down!

finn

Savannah Super Cat
I was originally planning to spend some time at the local shelter and take a DSH home that I had fallen in love with... but then I heard about savannahs. I went a little crazy researching them and falling in love with their looks and personality. I was intrigued by the earlier generations but I don't think I would have the space for an F1/F2 and I knew I wouldn't be able to afford one either.

I decided that I could budget for an F4 or later generation and I began my search for a breeder so I could see these beauties in person. I found a fantastic breeder locally and went to go see her F5 litter. I absolutely fell in love with Finn when I was there and I knew I had to have her. She has been so lovely and everyone who has spend time with her is amazed by how sweet and playful she is :)

John Popp

Site Supporter
So I think some of it is max socialization and some is individual kitten personality...

Totally agree Paige! As you know with Chongo he had to be crated for two months with a broken hip and I slept next to him on the floor every night. It was about as awful of a thing I can imagine for a kitten. I would spend hours with the door of the crate open every day with my head on his bed playing with him. I'd also get awakened 2-3 times an evening with claws in my scalp or cries to play with him. As a result, he's very well adjusted, lets anyone pick him up and I often sling him over my neck and walk around with him.

Also, at the breeder he came from, there is a full time employee whose job it is to socialize kittens. Bottle feeding early generations and making sure later generations get their play time in. I'm sure if she video taped all her ventures, it would make a great feature film. I wouldn't think I would tire of playing with kittens and as great as that job sounds, it does give me pause.

Lastly the things stated about size on various breeders sites, while broad likely only cover about 70% of the cats when full grown. I have seen comments from some people who are somewhat disappointed in the size of their cats and there is certainly enough data which could be collected to derive 70, 95 and 99% probability ranges. It would smash the myths that these cats are giants, and there are very few of us that will ever have a 25 or 30lb cat. It would also be good data to have whenever these things come up in front of legislatures as there is plenty of bad information out there.

Niels

Savannah Super Cat
I think the same story.

Themba also isn't hold enough as a kitten, and didn't get enough attention.
Now he is hard to handle.
I think it's hard to change now.

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I think the same story.

Don't be so sure! Nyah was very, very shy when we got her. You couldn't go near her, let alone pick her up. She wasn't mean, just skittish. Now you can't get her off your lap or get her to move when she hogs the bed at night! She is always with us, comes when called, etc. She will let you pick her up, but she is not a fan and would prefer you don't. Not sure if that is because she is an F2 or just what is left of her skittishness. I got a lot of advice on this board, and I just let her be who she was. She came around much more quickly than I ever expected, and she is way more social than I ever thought she would be. I really lucked out because under that scardy cat facade was this really cool cat waiting to come out of her shell.

I desperately want another, just working through the finances part is not easy!

John Popp

Site Supporter
I think the same story.

Niels, Chongo was so spun up all the time as a kitten he was more than a handful. Not that he wasn't sweet, but always wanted to be running at 95mph (150kph). Even being in the crate for two months he was tough to deal with while he was in there recovering from his injury.

Now getting close to a year old he is starting to calm down a bit and spend more quality time with the humans. He still does some stupid stuff, still wipes out daily and takes out something precious to my wife but with each day our quiet time interaction gets a bit longer.

He's still fidgety after about 15 minutes in your lap, everything is still a game and he's relentless in his want to play with the other cats. He baits me everyday into thinking he wants pet or under his neck scratched, and as soon as I fall into complacency I get a tiny nibble announcing let the games begin.