Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

The African Serval

Julie

Savannah Super Cat
OK...I understand the feelings of the people on this site. I withdraw my request for information as it appears it will not be forthcoming. Thank you

Were not fortcoming, get a grip. You say "exotic" and might not be legal. You're the reason behind people saying we shouldn't have hybrids. Uneducated.. argh!

God I hope you're a troll.

Only in America is it legal to declaw your cat ...

Following is a list of countries in which declawing is either illegal, or considered extremely inhumane and only performed only under extreme circumstances, or for medical reasons

England
Scotland
Wales
Italy
France
Germany
Bosnia

Austria
Switzerland
Norway
Sweden
Netherlands
Northern Ireland

Ireland
Denmark
Finland
Slovenia
Portugal
Belgium

Brazil
Australia
New Zealand
Yugoslavia
Malta
Israel

Point being, declawing your cat shouldn't be an option, it would be like cutting off the first knuckle on each of your toes and fingers ...

If your still considering doing after all this, please do the humane thing and find a rescue that will take your exotic and give it so someone doesn't need to maim an animal for the projection of another ... PLEASE !!!!

S

Scorpio1080

I will throw my two cents in here since I have a Savannah who has his fronts and Backs Declawed. Who ever did this did an Excellent job because his feet and toes are perfectly formed. That Being Said I THink it's a Terrible practice. I adopted my cat from the shelter like this and I feel so bad that when he goes to scratch his ears he's got nothing. My cat also wants to be outside sooooo bad but because he has no claws he can only go out when he is on a leash. I had never heard of declawing the back and when I took him to the vet they warned me that most all four declawed cats can have litter box issues and can become biters. I am very lucky because Chupa is neither. But Thing is, If your going to spend the money on a new cat and then that cat must suffer the loss of his claws that he is ment to have due to animals in the house you already have then maybe you should not add the new animal to the mix.

L

llamamama

I appreciate your input and will take everyone's comments for consideration. The cat in question is a Serval, but I thought I might get some input from your group. It will be about 50 pounds or more when it is mature. It will always need to be in harness when outside with or without claws. It will have an outdoor safe habitat for playtime and fresh air. My intent was to have laser declawing done at the same time I have the neutering so as to subject the cat to anesthesia only once. I am not a cruel person (or has been suggested, a Troll) but I am realistic about the power a cat of this size will have. This is not an issue of protecting the furniture, it is an issue of safety. No matter how good natured, accidents can happen.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Have you tried the Servals Yahoogroup for advice? I think the issue is that although the Serval is the ancestor of the breed, there is a huge difference between living with a Serval and a Savannah. This really is the reason for the Savannah breed, to give some of the appeal of the wild cat but in a more suitable pet form.

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
Servals range from 20/40lbs at most, doubt it would get that heavy unless over weight...

I think declawing in cats isn't right along with the fact I believe it teaches them to bite, growing up we only ever had one cat declawed and he has always been a biter, it's his only defense left.

L

llamamama

This cat is twice the size of it's littermates, so believing that a breeder of 25 years plus knows, I will expect that size and be pleased if it doesn't reach that much. My Bengal was declawed before I adopted it and it NEVER bites. Years ago, we adopted a kitten that had survived drinking antifreeze, but was blind as a result. It subsequently was declawed front only and it never bit. I doubt seriously this Serval will ever feel the need to defend itself, but natural behavior is for them to roll on their backs and kick with their rear feet. This would not be an aggressive or protective act, it would simply be instinctive behavior. I will check with the Serval group. When googling, I did not see that group, but did see the Savannahs, so I thought I'd give it a try. Thank you one and all, I will continue my search elsewhere.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I appreciate your input and will take everyone's comments for consideration. The cat in question is a Serval, but I thought I might get some input from your group. It will be about 50 pounds or more when it is mature. It will always need to be in harness when outside with or without claws. It will have an outdoor safe habitat for playtime and fresh air. My intent was to have laser declawing done at the same time I have the neutering so as to subject the cat to anesthesia only once. I am not a cruel person (or has been suggested, a Troll) but I am realistic about the power a cat of this size will have. This is not an issue of protecting the furniture, it is an issue of safety. No matter how good natured, accidents can happen.

I was guessing you had a serval kitten :) Did you research this cat and any local and state laws before purchasing the kitten? I do not have a serval, and no experience with one, but there are others are on this forum who do have servals and hopefully will chime in soon with advice for you. You DO need to find out the legal status of ownership before you do much of anything else concerning this kitten. Be prepared that you may not be able to keep him/her. And please do not try to hide the cat....neighbors do talk, and the serval will need other veterinary visits beyond neutering and other basics. You are at risk of having him confiscated if he is not legal to own. As servals bond deeply with their owner, confiscation and removal of one from their home is devastating for you both. I am sure you do not want that to happen.

That said, I am glad you came here for advice! You might want to look into these online groups:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/serval/

http://amnestywildlifesanctuary.com/index.html