Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Spay incision question. Pics added.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
So, its been a good 10 years or so since I've had a female cat spayed in my care. Or, my mother's I should say seeing as I was 11.

Anyway, I have contacted the rescue & I'm waiting to hear back from them about what vet she should be seen at if need be, & I just texted them this picture.

As some of you remember I am fostering Sarabi & she got spayed Monday afternoon. She came back to me on Tuesday & she looked fine. Incision looked like it was healing nicely. But last night & today she has been super lethargic & just NOT her normal, happy self. So I thought maybe I should check her incision, just to make sure it still looks okay. Is there supposed to be a big lump like that?

She isn't acting like she is in pain. She doesn't yelp out if I pick her up. But she has just literally been in the same spot ALL DAY. And like I said, usually she is playing, rolling around on the floor, chasing after Elijah, playing with Kovu through the door, ect.

Its swollen & looks like it could be infected. I didn't notice it looking like that yesterday or even this morning. Just thought maybe I could get advice from some of you while I'm waiting for a response from the rescue.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 48

Trish Allearz

Sad to say, but it is hard to tell from the photo. If the swelling just began, then yeah, I'd think it was infected. Better safe then sorry- I'd see if you could run her in to be looked at :)

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
Took her in. They looked her over, stapled her back up & sent us home with antibiotics & an e-collar. Which she hates both of them. :( She has to be on the antibiotics for 10 days & have the e-collar for at LEAST 14 days.

Oh, poor baby! She's not going to like that. Can you keep her in a room where she can't bump into too much stuff? Also, you could try taking the collar off during supervised visits in the room. It's meant to keep her from licking at the incision site, so as long as you can watch her and she's not doing that, you can give her some occasional breaks from it.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
Oh, poor baby! She's not going to like that. Can you keep her in a room where she can't bump into too much stuff? Also, you could try taking the collar off during supervised visits in the room. It's meant to keep her from licking at the incision site, so as long as you can watch her and she's not doing that, you can give her some occasional breaks from it.
She is going to be staying in my room until it comes off. There's (surprisingly) more stuff to bump into in the bathroom than in my bedroom. I figured we'd keep it on overnight & while I'm at work & then when I'm home in the bedroom with her we'll take it off for a bit.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
Is she on any meds for pain?
They gave me 1 tramadol & said to cut it in 1/4 pieces & if she REALLY needs it to give it to her. She's been sleeping since we got home. If she wakes up & is acting like she is i pain then I'll give her a piece.

admin

Paige
Staff member
But they often don't act as though they are in pain. cats mask pain very well...think about it..if you had your belly cut open, wouldn't you be in pain? I would give it to her.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
But they often don't act as though they are in pain. cats mask pain very well...think about it..if you had your belly cut open, wouldn't you be in pain? I would give it to her.
Heck yeah I would be. I'm having surgery a week from tomorrow & I'm counting on getting some good medicine after! lol It was kind of sad tho, I had to ask them for something. They didn't give her anything after her initial surgery. My mom said they don't usually prescribe pain meds for shelter/rescue animals. :'(

admin

Paige
Staff member
That is very sad :( as if they don't feel any pain...

Good luck with your surgery, Ashely! I hope it is not anything serious...