Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Shedding....a ton

F2bguy

Savannah Super Cat
Hi,

Was wondering if you had any tips on how to manage the massive amounts of hair left behind by my two cats?

I'm trying to force myself to clean my apartment on a weekly basis....(did not before).

I'm noticing that my cats are leaving a ton of hair/fur on my bed sheets. I don't like sleeping in cat hair.

In fact, they're on my bed right now as I write this post.

I bought a brush at Petco....and while I can brush the little one....and kinda sorta the big one....it doesn't seem to do a bit of good.

Can I ask you for advice on how to manage this? I'm thinking of buying an el cheapo queen sized sheet at Target and then lay it over my bed in the day time.....that will catch the fur. Probably won't help much at night when they come curling up next to me.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I use the furminator on my cats once a week, vacuum every day, and wash their blankets and beds 2-3x per month. Floating gobs of hair comes with the territory. Keeping your bedroom hair-free means keeping it cat-free so you'll have to keep the door closed and the cats out of the room.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hi,

Was wondering if you had any tips on how to manage the massive amounts of hair left behind by my two cats?

I'm trying to force myself to clean my apartment on a weekly basis....(did not before).

I'm noticing that my cats are leaving a ton of hair/fur on my bed sheets. I don't like sleeping in cat hair.

In fact, they're on my bed right now as I write this post.

I bought a brush at Petco....and while I can brush the little one....and kinda sorta the big one....it doesn't seem to do a bit of good.

Can I ask you for advice on how to manage this? I'm thinking of buying an el cheapo queen sized sheet at Target and then lay it over my bed in the day time.....that will catch the fur. Probably won't help much at night when they come curling up next to me.

It could be something missing in their diets, such as fish oil...cats do shed more in warmer weather also...put a tarp or something over your bed in the meantime :)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think the degree of shedding depends on the outcrosses used... I have some that do not shed at all and others who shed like crazy! I know some folk feel it helps to bathe the cats weekly - way too much effort from my standpoint... guess I'm just used to living with, and picking up furballs as I go...