Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah Proofing 1----Door Dasher Deterrent

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
DSCF8516.jpg DSCF8517.jpg

One of the most important things I have had to do to make my home Savannah proof is creating a second barrier beyond the front door to prevent door-dashing escapes. In over five years, I have not had a problem with escapees, but the addition of a new girl changed all that! After her 3rd door-dashing escape (and man, she is fast!) I decided to enclose the front porch with screening. I am fortunate to have the porch, so it made my job a bit easier than if I hadn't one, although I would have used anything to create another barrier, even a tall outside dog pen or sturdy gazebo temporarily. My other two exit doors are already enclosed, either screened in entirely or with fencing. Because I was working against the weather, I was able to utilize several older wooden screens and screen doors scavenged from my garage and Habitat for Humanity ReStore shop to accomplish my task. I used heavy duty pet-proof screen stapled on the doors, (the older window screens were in excellent shape and will be re-screened with pet-proof in the spring) and added additional reinforcement along the bottom with black plastic mesh fencing, also stapled to the railing. Lucky for me, 3 of the screen doors fit perfectly across the front, but I did have to build a frame out of 2 x 4's for the side door on the end. I added hook and eye latches both inside and outside the doors (also temporary). The whole job took a total of 6 hours. I intend to keep this area off-limits to cats to reinforce the notion of not going outside, and I plan to paint and replace the doors later with decorative ones, but for now I can relax, knowing if my girl does get out the front door, she can go no further than the porch....:)

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thanks, Paige! Yes, I did it myself :) I have quite the tool collection and have been known to ask for them for birthdays and such...got one coming up and really need a new staple gun and jigsaw lol!

LOL, Pam!!! I also have many tools and wish I was more handy with them ;) You will have to give me some lessons.

M

MK Anderson

View attachment 103 View attachment 104

One of the most important things I have had to do to make my home Savannah proof is creating a second barrier beyond the front door to prevent door-dashing escapes. In over five years, I have not had a problem with escapees, but the addition of a new girl changed all that! After her 3rd door-dashing escape (and man, she is fast!) I decided to enclose the front porch with screening. I am fortunate to have the porch, so it made my job a bit easier than if I hadn't one, although I would have used anything to create another barrier, even a tall outside dog pen or sturdy gazebo temporarily. My other two exit doors are already enclosed, either screened in entirely or with fencing. Because I was working against the weather, I was able to utilize several older wooden screens and screen doors scavenged from my garage and Habitat for Humanity ReStore shop to accomplish my task. I used heavy duty pet-proof screen stapled on the doors, (the older window screens were in excellent shape and will be re-screened with pet-proof in the spring) and added additional reinforcement along the bottom with black plastic mesh fencing, also stapled to the railing. Lucky for me, 3 of the screen doors fit perfectly across the front, but I did have to build a frame out of 2 x 4's for the side door on the end. I added hook and eye latches both inside and outside the doors (also temporary). The whole job took a total of 6 hours. I intend to keep this area off-limits to cats to reinforce the notion of not going outside, and I plan to paint and replace the doors later with decorative ones, but for now I can relax, knowing if my girl does get out the front door, she can go no further than the porch....:)

AWESOME! you go girl!!!! :)

Cattan

Savannah Kitten
View attachment 103 View attachment 104