Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah Proofing 1----Door Dasher Deterrent

John Popp

Site Supporter
Nice job Pam. Color me impressed.

Another path is the retract a gate attached from the door frame to the door. great for those entryways you can't easily secure.

1563804900937.png

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Nice job Pam. Color me impressed.

Another path is the retract a gate attached from the door frame to the door. great for those entryways you can't easily secure.

View attachment 27404

We need to invest in this! Is it a pain in the ass when loading groceries and stuff into the house?

Ninja has become a darter, but won’t move an inch when we take him out in a harness. Grr...

Sean

Site Supporter
Escape was one of the reasons the people I got Bella from gave for giving her up.
She has done about 4 or 5 times here and of that only one time with me. Mom is
at an age where she is not very quick and Bella will take advantage of that and slip past.

I could screen in the front porch with very little work. For now we just come by way of
the garage as it's attached and works as an airlock. The rule I setup with mom is she
has to close the big door before she opens the house door. Works really well.

When I move I will have to rethink all of it and have been looking at places that have it
as a feature or will be easy to add it to them and still come out looking nice and not junky.
But wouldn't you know it the one house I really like will be almost impossible to do that with.

mayura1

Site Supporter
View attachment 103 View attachment 104

One of the most important things I have had to do to make my home Savannah proof is creating a second barrier beyond the front door to prevent door-dashing escapes. In over five years, I have not had a problem with escapees, but the addition of a new girl changed all that! After her 3rd door-dashing escape (and man, she is fast!) I decided to enclose the front porch with screening. I am fortunate to have the porch, so it made my job a bit easier than if I hadn't one, although I would have used anything to create another barrier, even a tall outside dog pen or sturdy gazebo temporarily. My other two exit doors are already enclosed, either screened in entirely or with fencing. Because I was working against the weather, I was able to utilize several older wooden screens and screen doors scavenged from my garage and Habitat for Humanity ReStore shop to accomplish my task. I used heavy duty pet-proof screen stapled on the doors, (the older window screens were in excellent shape and will be re-screened with pet-proof in the spring) and added additional reinforcement along the bottom with black plastic mesh fencing, also stapled to the railing. Lucky for me, 3 of the screen doors fit perfectly across the front, but I did have to build a frame out of 2 x 4's for the side door on the end. I added hook and eye latches both inside and outside the doors (also temporary). The whole job took a total of 6 hours. I intend to keep this area off-limits to cats to reinforce the notion of not going outside, and I plan to paint and replace the doors later with decorative ones, but for now I can relax, knowing if my girl does get out the front door, she can go no further than the porch....:)
Do you have any suggestions for temporary gates outside the front door? We are having a contractor create an enclosed entryway/mudroom but it is taking time to arrange. Unfortunately, there's concrete right outside the door and most of the good temporary dog pens or gates seem to have stakes that need to be pounded into earth. And others either have too much room between the bars or are too short or too flimsy. Right now, our new kittens are in quarantine but this will be a big concern once they are roaming the house.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm not sure I am picturing the situation here, but if you are concerned about the kittens bolting out the door(s) I would suggest you put them in another room when/if you're going in and out of the house, and when expecting visitors. It may be a PIA but worth it if you have a long-term resolution in the end...