Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah Cats & Disabled People

casper75

Savannah Super Cat
Hey all I've just joined this forum & I'm really enjoying reading the many stories about Savannah Cats on here it's very Informative, I'm legally blind & I also suffer from a chronic Illness (Fibromyalgia Syndrome) but I live on my own & do my own cooking,wash & shopping so I'm very Independent I was wanting to know If a Savannah Cat would be a good pet for me & what generation would you recommend If I ever got the chance to own one?.

Kristine

I do think a Savannah would be a great choice for you. I have raised two certified therapy cats, one F4 and one F7 Savannah. Plus I placed one of my kittens to be a search and rescue cat (i.e. find humans and human remains). The intelligence and loyalty of the Savannah makes them ideal for people who are looking for a great companion kitty, whether with a disability or not. I do not think the generation matters as much as the temperament of the individual cat.

casper75

Savannah Super Cat
I do think a Savannah would be a great choice for you. I have raised two certified therapy cats, one F4 and one F7 Savannah. Plus I placed one of my kittens to be a search and rescue cat (i.e. find humans and human remains). The intelligence and loyalty of the Savannah makes them ideal for people who are looking for a great companion kitty, whether with a disability or not. I do not think the generation matters as much as the temperament of the individual cat.

Thanks for the reply I've heard that earlier generations of Savannahs Cat can be a challenge to handle.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Hey all I've just joined this forum & I'm really enjoying reading the many stories about Savannah Cats on here it's very Informative, I'm legally blind & I also suffer from a chronic Illness (Fibromyalgia Syndrome) but I live on my own & do my own cooking,wash & shopping so I'm very Independent I was wanting to know If a Savannah Cat would be a good pet for me & what generation would you recommend If I ever got the chance to own one?.

I used to work for a quadriplegic young man for many years. He has since moved to Arizona, but on a trip back to Michigan, he stopped by for a visit (he drives his own van :) None of my Savannahs (F4-F7) were afraid of his motorized chair, and he spent a few hours with SV's on his lap or playing around the chair....I believe those generation of Savannahs could work well with you, and as Kristine says, it depends on the temperament of the cat.

casper75

Savannah Super Cat
I used to work for a quadriplegic young man for many years. He has since moved to Arizona, but on a trip back to Michigan, he stopped by for a visit (he drives his own van :) None of my Savannahs (F4-F7) were afraid of his motorized chair, and he spent a few hours with SV's on his lap or playing around the chair....I believe those generation of Savannahs could work well with you, and as Kristine says, it depends on the temperament of the cat.

Thanks Pam my dream cat would be a Savannah who enjoys playing but at the same time enjoys sitting on my lap & lying at my feet while I work on the PC.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Clem, Savannahs seem to be so sensitive, as are many cats, but they seem much more in tune with their surroundings and people than the average cat...I would think that IF they are legalized in Australia, only the F5 and later would be allowed? If so, that would be perfect for you.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
As Paige says, if the Australian Government was to reverse its ban it would likely go back to the original situation where only F5 and further were allowed.

Good luck fighting that ban. I did all I could from the US to stop them putting that ban in place at the time, as did a number of other TICA folk AND cat folk in Australia at the time... they didn't want to listen at the time.

casper75

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you so much for your support this forum has been making my page going In leaps & bounds & this is a very rough draft I had put together but someone said that their are to many restriction & it would be exactly what the anti-cat lobby want's, But we must be willing to meet the government In some way because If we don't then the chance of getting the breed Into Australia will be a lot more difficult. Here is what I came up with & as I said it's a very rough draft:

1: All breeders are to pass a background check & be registered with the relevant authorities.

2: Only F3 & F4 females will be allowed Into the country this will create generations of F4 to F5 cats & these generations are normally the size of a domestic cat & the percentage of Serval is only a single figure

3: Only breeders will be allowed to own F5 males to use for breeding purposes.

4: Savannah kittens are not to leave the breeder any earlier than 12 weeks old this will give the breeder time to have a kitten de-sexed & micro chipped

5: All potential Savannah Cat owners are to pass a screening process to see that there lifestyle is suited to owning a Savannah Cat, Everyone who applies to be a Savannah owner will be placed on a database which only breeders will have access to this will stop any unsuitable owners from going from breeder to breeder trying to get a cat.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
My thoughts on your rough draft are:

1. Who does the background check, who are the "relevant authorities"?
2. How did you choose F3 and F4 should be allowed? Why not aim for SBT which you can at least justify as "purebred" in the cat fancy's eyes? Given that the government was only allowing F5 and further before the outright ban, I think it a stretch to hope they will not only reverse the ban but loosen the generational limit...
3. I guess this goes back to #1 as to how do you determine breeder status...
4. Why not require simply that all kittens placed by registered breeders must be altered and microchipped, unless sold to another registered breeder?
5. Who does the screening process? Are there fees involved in all of this to fund the process?