Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah cat very loud

Hericane

Spencer
Hello, I have a 10 month old F6 savannah named Spencer. This is my first savannah and I just love him:) However one thing I am wondering is it normal for Savannah's to be so loud and make a strange wailing type noise? And the noises sometimes are different and they are very LOUD. It doesn't seem like he is in any pain and it's almost like he is announcing himself or wants someone to pay attention to him.

I have a vet appt in a few days to rule out any health things like a UTI. But in the meantime I wanted to hear from some experienced Savannah owners.

Thanks for any input you have.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Hi, and welcome to you and Spencer! First off...is your boy nuetered? A loud wailing (or "calling") if he is intact, are typical male cat noises; at 10 months, he should be nuetered so he doesn't start spraying. Otherwise, it may just be his way of announcing his presence to you, especially if he is an "only cat". When one of mine does that, a loud "Shush!" usually stops the wailing, but you have to catch them in the act. They quickly learn (or at least mine did) to drop down to a more tolerable voice that I will respond positively to. It seems to me my SV's with a strong Oriental Shorthair background make that wailing sound. I am sure it is just something Spencer has figured out that will get your attention :)

admin

Paige
Staff member
Welcome! Spencer looks adorable! My F6, Taj, wails like that and I have to do as pam suggested and Shush him! he is 2 and 1/2 and neutered, but he has been doing this since he was 4 months old. he does it to get my attention! I remember driving home with him as a baby - he howled so loud, I couldn't hear the radio...he does have quite a bit OS in his pedigree...

Hericane

Spencer
Hello. Yes he is neutered and we have two other mature DSH females.

So it sounds like he might just be a talker eh? That's was I am thinking just wanted to hear from experienced savannah owners.

This forum is great I am so glad I found it!

admin

Paige
Staff member
yes, sounds like he is a talker for sure!

we are glad you found us as well ;) feel free to ask any and all questions...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Hericane welcome to the world of Savannah Communication 101. I have an F2 boy who loves to go for walks. Halfway through each walk he stops to emit an eardrum shattering scream followed by a bark followed by a wail followed by a demand for chin scratches. The scream can be heard for a few blocks and has brought neighbors out of their houses wondering who is torturing an animal. Soooooooo embarrassing:oops:

Julie

Savannah Super Cat
Awww, welcome. Our one boys a yeller too. We always go checking to find him fine sitting or laying in the carpet just wanting our attention.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
I have a whiner/yowler too. He does it when he wants to go out and run around in the backyard, he does it if I go out the front door and he doesn't, he does it when he thinks I should feed him.

Trish Allearz

Our F7 boy is a talker. He can be very chatty- but we knew that his Momma was chatty, so it wasn't a surprise! Girls tend to be even louder then boys if they are chatty- believe it or not!