Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Retained testicles

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
The breeder told me that if he still had retained testicles after this appointment this Monday to wait another month...he will be 7 months old then April 9th. She said that surgery would be more hard on Zoen, and it is more expensive also. I really don't want to wait any longer, because he might start spraying. I've always had male cats my whole life and I never knew of this problem before until now.

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
I don't understand, why are you having to get rid of some of your cats???
My other cats don't really make good playmates with Zoen...they are older also. The Himalayan will be 14 years old and the DSH's will be 13 and 7 years old. They do not like the rough play that Zoen likes to do and they run away from him. I do have a black DSH that I call Panther that will be 8 years old and he is a little more better with Zoen. My F3 savannah Newton, that will turn 13 years old in September will play a little while with Zoen, but he will let him know also when he had enough of him and stay away. I really don't want more than 2 or three in the house anymore either...I have 6 now inside. My husband also says it's costing to much to keep all 6, so get rid of the himmy and 2 DSH cats....they don't get along with Zoen anyway and a fight breaks out.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Oh wow. I can't imagine having cats in my life for that long and then just "get rid of" them... it's so hard to find homes for older cats too, even Savannahs :-(

That's why we try our best to caution people to consider the existing cats in a household before adding a high energy interactive Savannah into the mix.... I do hope that you find them a good home, dropping them at a shelter would likely be a death sentence :-(

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Oh wow. I can't imagine having cats in my life for that long and then just "get rid of" them... it's so hard to find homes for older cats too, even Savannahs :-(

That's why we try our best to caution people to consider the existing cats in a household before adding a high energy interactive Savannah into the mix.... I do hope that you find them a good home, dropping them at a shelter would likely be a death sentence :-(
I've been trying to find them home for awhile now.....I sold my himmy a couple years ago then ended up taking him back...He was gone 6 months....the buyer brought him to the animal shelter instead of bringing him back to me, and the shelter called me and told me he was there...they scanned his ID chip and found me....It took me alot of money to clean him up also...I could of just left him down there...but I didn't!! Not supposed to OWN more than 4 cats they said anyway. There is a no kill cat shelter called PAWS and they told me to put them down because they were too old..... I don't think 12 and 13 is old ....I said a shelter should take them anyway, that's what they do, and fine homes for them.:(

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Is it a limit law issue with having to rehome some of your cats? How awful :-(

I have to say, if you have to sell your kitten I doubt you would get what you paid for him...not only is he months older, he will be coming with a behavioral issue (if he's spraying and doesn't stop with the neuter) and you cannot offer any sort of health or genetic guarantee as you are not the breeder. But that's rushing things, he hasn't started spraying and really almost ALL kittens that might have started spraying but are quickly neutered, it resolves very fast.
If he starts spraying in my house it's because the breeder told me to wait a little longer so he can have a normal neuter....the breeder should be the one to really take him back ,and replace my kitten with another one if he starts spraying...which I don't want! That urine cat spray will get in the wood of my home and walls and the only way to get it out is to tear everything out and replace ...that will be costly. I really love my F2 kitten and I hope he can just have a normal neuter soon.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
If he starts spraying in my house it's because the breeder told me to wait a little longer so he can have a normal neuter....the breeder should be the one to really take him back ,and replace my kitten with another one if he starts spraying...which I don't want! That urine cat spray will get in the wood of my home and walls and the only way to get it out is to tear everything out and replace ...that will be costly. I really love my F2 kitten and I hope he can just have a normal neuter soon.

The breeder is but giving you advice, you could always have the more invasive procedure done right now, it is just that this may not be necessary and waiting might avoid that.

If your kitten sprays once or twice it will not ruin your home to the point of needing to rip out wood and walls. A good enzyme cleaner will easily resolve a couple of pee incidents. I would estimate that IF your kitten starts spraying there is over a 95% chance that neutering him asap at that point will resolve that issue almost immediately. There are always exceptions of course.

It is your choice though at the end of the day, whether you choose to wait to hope that your kitten can have a normal neuter or if you choose to go the route of a more invasive neuter now to hope to avoid spraying. Contractually, I don't know that this issue is covered. An undescended testicle I think is just a random type of issue not an inherited defect that would be covered under a genetic guarantee. I am sure that this isn't what anyone wants or expects when they get a new pet though. The best way for any buyer to avoid this issue would be to choose a breeder that places pet kittens after spay/neuter I guess.

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
The breeder is but giving you advice, you could always have the more invasive procedure done right now, it is just that this may not be necessary and waiting might avoid that.

If your kitten sprays once or twice it will not ruin your home to the point of needing to rip out wood and walls. A good enzyme cleaner will easily resolve a couple of pee incidents. I would estimate that IF your kitten starts spraying there is over a 95% chance that neutering him asap at that point will resolve that issue almost immediately. There are always exceptions of course.

It is your choice though at the end of the day, whether you choose to wait to hope that your kitten can have a normal neuter or if you choose to go the route of a more invasive neuter now to hope to avoid spraying. Contractually, I don't know that this issue is covered. An undescended testicle I think is just a random type of issue not an inherited defect that would be covered under a genetic guarantee. I am sure that this isn't what anyone wants or expects when they get a new pet though. The best way for any buyer to avoid this issue would be to choose a breeder that places pet kittens after spay/neuter I guess.
I don't really want my expensive F2 to have the invasive procedure and to be cut up like a piece of meat:( and I did wait a couple months already, and it cost more than a regular neuter also. I'm hoping that this next visit he is ok. I would call this a medical issue that is not normal and was noticed by the vet in his exam. Oh well.....I will make sure if I ever get another savannah that the breeder will have him neutered for me, even if I still have to pay for it or not. I worry about him having this surgery also, being more invasive. My husband would have a fit if he smelled cat spray in our new home...I would never hear the end of it, and when he gets upset it can bad!! :eek:

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Took Zoen for a neuter check this morning and still not down yet. :( Did make an appointment the week he will be 7 months old for one of the neuters....I hope it will be the regular one. The vet said maybe they will be down by then...we will see. She says if they stay down inside him it can turn cancerous, so don't wait too long. I really don't want to wait past 7 months because of spraying also.