Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

One Week

admin

Paige
Staff member
Wow, I am so sorry! Who is the breeder? And no, this hasn't happened with any of my kittens, so I'm not sure about other breeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savannah Mama

Site Supporter
Hi Guys,
I was hoping to be posting some pictures but unfortunately have bad news instead. Our new family member was supposed to be coming home today at long last. Yesterday I was informed by the breeder that Mister Reavis and some of his littermates had been attacked/injured by his mother. He is not expected to survive. I am just devastated. Does this kind of thing happen?
I was offered a refund or an F3 from a litter that was just born. Any advice?
:cry:
A

So, so sorry, sad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Oh no, I am sooo sorry! I have never heard of something like this happening before, unless the mom had been separated from the kittens for an extended period of time and no longer recognized them as her offspring - then she might get territorial, but to the point of killing another kitten/cat? That's really extreme. I would be concerned about breeding that mom again - I wouldn't want that instinct passed down to any offspring!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
OMG...I am SO very sorry for your loss :-( That is heartbreaking for the kitten to die as obviously you have been anticipating his arrival and the excitement and all...but the way the kitten died is beyond horrific.

NO, this is NOT normal. I have NEVER heard of a cat killing kittens this old when they are THEIR babies. As Patti says, if the mama cat had been taken away so long ago that she didn't recognize them as her babies, but still to the point of killing more than one of them? That's simply bizarre. And like Patti, I would be scheduling a spay for that cat immediately.

I am just so sorry for you. That is so very sad.