Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

One Savannah here and two on the way

Bren Manos

Savannah Child
IMG_6290.JPG Hello Everyone,

My name is Bren and I have a wonderful new Savannah F2 named Oliver. He is funny and adorable and I fell in love with him the moment that I saw his picture.

Since having him at home, I have decided on bringing home another kitten so when my contact told me she had another little family of kittens I couldn't wait. But, I didn't just pick one kitten. I picked two F2 Kittens who will be arriving here with me in December.

I think I am addicted to these little ones and may need some help haha...

I do have a question about Oliver. I have read many of the threads and post on feeding for the little guy and do my best to follow the guidelines that people have suggested. My issue is that Oliver is always a terror when it comes to food. When he was at the breeder, she mentioned that he was quite into eating but I didn't know how much. He yells constantly from the second we enter the kitchen until he is done. If I feed him the large cans of food, it is not enough. I have to mix it with dry just to satisfy him. Also, he ravishes his plates. I don't think he chews, just eats as fast as he can. He will run from his bowl to steal the other cats food then head back to his bowl. He makes these howls when he is starting to run low on his bowls. He eats any where from three to four times a day. He will not eat dry food that we leave out nor has he taken interest in any of the 100 different cat treats that we have bought him. i know he is not starving to death and i know that I am nourishing him with his food and vitamins. I just don't know how to slow him down. any suggestions?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, Oliver is a cutie!

You didn't mention Oliver's age, but assuming he is a kitten I would not try to limit, or slow down his eating unless he is looking overweight. Kittens expend an incredible amount of energy just growing, not to mention all their play and other activities on top of that.

Some of Oliver's behavior you are describing is probably food aggression, which is not uncommon in kittens and which they usually grow out of before they are a year old. If he is stealing too much of the other cat's food you might want consider feeding them in separate rooms.

I assume if you have read the other threads of feeding that you have chosen a high quality canned food for Oliver? I usually judge that by reading the ingredients on the label - if the first several ingredients aren't protein sources you might want to consider a different brand of food.

Bren Manos

Savannah Child
Welcome to the forum, Oliver is a cutie!

You didn't mention Oliver's age, but assuming he is a kitten I would not try to limit, or slow down his eating unless he is looking overweight. Kittens expend an incredible amount of energy just growing, not to mention all their play and other activities on top of that.

Some of Oliver's behavior you are describing is probably food aggression, which is not uncommon in kittens and which they usually grow out of before they are a year old. If he is stealing too much of the other cat's food you might want consider feeding them in separate rooms.

I assume if you have read the other threads of feeding that you have chosen a high quality canned food for Oliver? I usually judge that by reading the ingredients on the label - if the first several ingredients aren't protein sources you might want to consider a different brand of food.

Oliver is 4 months old and definitely hitting many growth spurts. Thank you for your response. I will continue to give him what he needs and yes, we are using good quality foods. I owe that to both the breeder and this site. I have never seen a kitten eat so fast before so it took me by surprise. thank you so much

Rafiki

Site Supporter
View attachment 22140
Since having him at home, I have decided on bringing home another kitten so when my contact told me she had another little family of kittens I couldn't wait. But, I didn't just pick one kitten. I picked two F2 Kittens who will be arriving here with me in December.

I think I am addicted to these little ones and may need some help haha...

There is no cure. No help in sight. Welcome to the forum.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Bren, when my F1 was growing he ate 3 lbs of food a day, sometimes more. I thought I would have to start a go-fund-me to keep him fed, lol. You might want to stock up on cat food before the next 2 arrive because you will be exponentially increasing the amount of food you need. And remember that when they start losing their baby teeth their appetites may decrease slightly and then will come back with a vengeance. The good news is that their appetites usually taper off and equalize by the end of their first year.

Val

Site Supporter
Welcome. Oliver is adorable, can’t wait to see pics of the other babies. They are all correct, it’s an addiction and we all are here to support each other.

Bren Manos

Savannah Child
Bren, when my F1 was growing he ate 3 lbs of food a day, sometimes more. I thought I would have to start a go-fund-me to keep him fed, lol. You might want to stock up on cat food before the next 2 arrive because you will be exponentially increasing the amount of food you need. And remember that when they start losing their baby teeth their appetites may decrease slightly and then will come back with a vengeance. The good news is that their appetites usually taper off and equalize by the end of their first year.
Oh Dear... lol
I will just have to pick up extra shifts each month to feed them. haha