Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Not to offend- what is the reason to show your cat?

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I would think it is like showing horses. It is the competition, showing off what your horse can do, the level of training, etc. but like what Trish mentioned, there is plenty of politics involved! I event, the least political, but it still exists. My little mare got a better dressage score than a big name dressage horse breeder / judge's horse and it was clear the owner had her nose out of joint over that. Sad thing is we trailered together as my horse is at her facility with my trainer! :rolleyes: Not the same as showing how perfect a cat is to the standard, but I always thought doing agility at a cat show would be fun. Kovu would be supreme super ninja grand champion if he would use his listening ears and not get nervous at an event. I should research if there are breed restrictions!

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Because it's fun?

Because it's a community of cat lovers and goodness gracious-- look at Facebook, cat lovers love being together?

Because it's the one time you can really take your cat out and show him or her off? Let's face it-- we don't have cat parks to take our cats out to and sit and chat with fellow cat owners.

There are plenty of people who show alters that either do not breed or do not breed the alter breed they are showing. Household pets are shown. I've shown my old man who has one eye-- and he's placed first in a household pet final. I've shown our curly earred girl-- she is an alter as well-- she's done exceptionally well. And of course, I supremed my Selkirk Rex as an alter. We neutered him at less than 2 years so we obviously weren't planning to breed him.

It's just like anything else-- a community of likeminded people and if you keep your mind open, pretty darn fun. If you get too caught up in the competition IMHO-- you are going to get pissed off more than it's worth (it's very subjective-- like art as you say-- even with a standard) so if you go, go with a lightheart, meet awesome people, and enjoy sharing your cat and theirs.

it's definately something to think about. And wow that one flew right over my head. Of course it's about being part of the community. being with like minded people. that's why I love this forum so much always something to learn. something to chat about. why didn't I think of that lol

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I think its different with buns @Bekki ...with buns I think you leave them at the fair for the weekend. They are put up in a class that isn't necessarily breed specific, and the owner doesn't really have much to do with the whole thing. I think you get judged at the end of the weekend for your class...I could be mistaken (a friend of mine shows her bun)

I think it would be fun to show an alter...except a) Zeddie is a psycho maniac b) we don't really have many cat shows here
Do you have to be part of that province to go or participate? or can you travel? I believe there are shows in ny state only a couple of hours from here depending on where in Ontario. That could be an option?

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Agility courses? That would be so cool! and my friend used to show miniature horses as a kid. Won a bunch of awards. She was also part of 4-h but that was part of why she did it because it was fun for her and her sister. they got to be in the spotlight. And I would definately be uncomfortable with leaving my cat anywhere for a weekend like a rabbit at a fair. that's kind of why I was a little apprehensive I wasn't sure what the course of events was.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I show, when I can, if I have a cat or kitten I think is "show quality"...aka, a very good representative of the breed, both in temperament and looks.

I also show because, honestly...as much as my better half, family and friends loves our kitties, I can see when their eyes glaze over at times when I talk "cat"...what better venue than a cat show to talk "cat" to fellow exhibitors and Savannah enthusiasts...for several days at a time? I honestly go to shows more for the social aspect of being with fellow exhibitors and to talk about Savannahs, than I do for a chance at a final or placing. To me that is icing on the cake when one of my cats gets a final....

I show (when I am able) even when I know show politics are involved at times. I showed horses (open, breed and reining) for years and am well aware of that aspect of the show arena, but being at a show with a cat or kitten that embodies what we want in a Savannah and has a great temperament as well, educating spectators about our breed, hanging out with other breeders (not to mention the after hours partying), seeing other breeds I might only see online...the Lykoi for one!...shopping from vendors, etc...beats winning any ribbon or final in my book.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
with what little knowledge I have about Savannah's I still talk a lot about them and how excited I am to get one and. Already see my friends eyes glaze over lol

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
ta2aqevu.jpg
6avaryvy.jpg

I don't think I would be able to show my Loki. he seems to take after his dad in body type. Meet gargoyle f5c I swear he almost looks like a dog if you covered his head and just looked at his build. I hear he is part jungle cat somewhere in the mix from his fathers side. I mean I love the build and the big head and the intimidating look he gives. Loki makes the same face. But I don't think I could show him for the high standards the judges have I'm sure