Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Not Eating

LEM91

Savannah Adult
Do you have anything for him to chew on to get those molars to come in, assuming that that is the problem? I tried numerous teething chew toys but my cats snubbed them. If he likes the freeze dried chicken, he may like the freeze dried chicken necks.

I do not have anything good for him to chew on, just ordered him some freeze dried chicken necks from Amazon to be delivered tomorrow, hopefully he likes that

Snookie

Savannah Super Cat
Ive always been confused when it comes to raw. Ive read, freeze meat first to kill germs. One breeder told me she refuses to give raw for fear of illness. Some saw only raw, and never know what is best

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Ive always been confused when it comes to raw. Ive read, freeze meat first to kill germs. One breeder told me she refuses to give raw for fear of illness. Some saw only raw, and never know what is best
Freezing can only kill parasites it doesn't kill bacteria. So it is possible for them to catch something like salmonella, E. coli or Campylobacter from eating raw meat. However a cats G.I. tract is short and designed to eat raw meat, so unless their immune system is suppressed or they're under stress from possibly being rehomed or something like that they should be able to handle raw meat.

Snookie

Savannah Super Cat
Yes I have actually read that about their G.I. tract. Can you give them raw as is, or do you need to prepare it a specific way, and what is the best thing to give them to see if they will even like raw at all. I dont want to make a lot of it in the event he does not take to it. What is the simplest thing to try in a small portion to see how that goes first? I saw the link and I will read it but just want to hear from someone that does feed raw to help me along

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Yes I have actually read that about their G.I. tract. Can you give them raw as is, or do you need to prepare it a specific way, and what is the best thing to give them to see if they will even like raw at all.
It needs to be a balanced raw diet for anything long-term. That means 80% muscle meat, 10% bone and 10% secreting Organ. But to just see if they'll even eat raw meat you can try them with something you're preparing for yourself. Just make sure there's no spices or sauces or anything on it just plain meat. And cut it up into pieces about the size of your thumbnail. I think chiclen is usually the easiest one to start with thighs are better but breaded are OK just to see if they'll eat it

Snookie

Savannah Super Cat
It needs to be a balanced raw diet for anything long-term. That means 80% muscle meat, 10% bone and 10% secreting Organ. But to just see if they'll even eat raw meat you can try them with something you're preparing for yourself. Just make sure there's no spices or sauces or anything on it just plain meat. And cut it up into pieces about the size of your thumbnail. I think chiclen is usually the easiest one to start with thighs are better but breaded are OK just to see if they'll eat it
Ok so dont debone? Just chop it up bone, and skin and all? Also do I have to freeze the meat then defrost, or if I buy it fresh meaning not frozen can I try that or do I need to freeze first?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
You should not need to freeze the food first as long as it has been appropriately refrigerated. One thing I do recommend is deworming every 3-6 months if you are feeding raw.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Ok so dont debone? Just chop it up bone, and skin and all? Also do I have to freeze the meat then defrost, or if I buy it fresh meaning not frozen can I try that or do I need to freeze first?
You don't need to debone it but I would probably start with boneless. And if you're feeding human grade meat you don't need to freeze it, that's just for wild game

Snookie

Savannah Super Cat
You don't need to debone it but I would probably start with boneless. And if you're feeding human grade meat you don't need to freeze it, that's just for wild game
Ok I will grab some and give it a shot. See how it goes. Thank you