Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

New to Savannah's and needing advice

Wild Tafari

Savannah Super Cat
Perhaps ours are too Shelby! :) We have kittens that are nearly impossible to put down!! They struggle if they think their feet are about to touch the floor. LOL I love every minute of it though and wouldn't trade it for the world. :)

My Savannahs must be from another world? LOL They do cuddle, they don't mind being picked up and carried and they do lay in our laps. They have free run of the house and are no different as far as getting into things than any other cat.Yes..we have F1s through F7s. Some can be temperamental at times, but so can I.They will put things in their mouths if these things are left laying around, but so did my children when they were small;>) They don't miss what they have never known. In my HO if they are cuddled, handled and loved as babies they are fine with it as adults. My advice is to make sure they are legal where you are, make sure they are not going to cause your allergies to flare up and if at all possible visit the home of the breeder when you are ready to pick up you kitten. See how the chosen one interacts with the humans, other pets and how it acts around you . If the kitten does not allow the breeder to pick it up and cuddle...it is not going to allow you to either.Each one is an individual and the right kitten will be there for you when the time is right in my HO.

A

Armywife

I've never owned a Savannah but I have owned a few cats, all with very different personalities. Some live for cuddles,some just want you to serve their every need and others are just silly. A few years ago we rescued a puppy from what was supposed to be a breeder (with papers even). We showered him with love, looked after him like he was our child and taught him manners. Yet, something still wasn't right with him, he was "off" some moments. A blood test came back showing he was 75% coyote and the rest a White Shepherd. For all that we tried, he needed something we couldn't give him. He now lives on a coyote reservation but still have his manners and even his blanket we gave him in his den. Yep, I house broke a coyote..only took 2 yrs! :) (he rings a bell on the door) My point is, every animal is different..just because they look like a cat or dog doesn't mean they'll follow what you think they should act like. I wouldn't expect life with a Savannah to be like life with a Tabby.

Jeni

Aniyah's mommy
I've never owned a Savannah but I have owned a few cats, all with very different personalities. Some live for cuddles,some just want you to serve their every need and others are just silly. A few years ago we rescued a puppy from what was supposed to be a breeder (with papers even). We showered him with love, looked after him like he was our child and taught him manners. Yet, something still wasn't right with him, he was "off" some moments. A blood test came back showing he was 75% coyote and the rest a White Shepherd. For all that we tried, he needed something we couldn't give him. He now lives on a coyote reservation but still have his manners and even his blanket we gave him in his den. Yep, I house broke a coyote..only took 2 yrs! :) (he rings a bell on the door) My point is, every animal is different..just because they look like a cat or dog doesn't mean they'll follow what you think they should act like. I wouldn't expect life with a Savannah to be like life with a Tabby.

Life with a Savannah for me has WAYYYYYYYYY surpassed all my expectations! My previous cat was a rescued tabby kitty. I had her from the time she was 6 weeks old til she was 19 years old. She was moody, tempermental, and only showed affection if she was hungry. Now my Savannah on the other hand......she is a furry ball of 100% LOVE. She plays with my dogs like she belongs, never has had litter box issues, she runs to greet me when she hears my voice, she drags my 3 year olds stuffed toys through the house like they are hers, she rides on my shoulder throughout the house like a bird, she cuddles with us (under the covers) every night, and greets me with purrs and headbutts and kisses every single morning when my alarn goes off. Life with a Savannah is utterly amazing IMHO.:in love: So, no....life with a Savannah is NOT like life with a Tabby, it's even better;)

admin

Paige
Staff member
I know my kittens have been held, cuddled and kissed since they were born...dracos still cries to be held and the others curl up with me all the time. I can pick them up, hold them upside down, kiss them cuddle them, all with no desire for them to run away or get down. They are not afraid of strangers either...a bit cautious as they get older, but they do not run away or anything of the sort ;)

Cinny is nosy and has to inspect everyone and everything...

But...often that does not last into adulthood, but time will tell...

S

shelby

Perhaps ours are too Shelby! :) We have kittens that are nearly impossible to put down!! They struggle if they think their feet are about to touch the floor. LOL I love every minute of it though and wouldn't trade it for the world. :)
LOL I do know that feeling;>) We are blessed;>)

A

Armywife

Are there certain cleaning products you can't use? I used Mr. Clean when my son was small until we realized that our coyote/dog was licking the floor because it smelt like oranges. :eek: (He was a simple soul)

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
Also...be sure to check on whether your savannah will be legal or not...
This! I get notifications from HomeAgain if pets that have been microchipped in our area go missing. I'm in Tacoma, but I got a notification that a Savannah in Seattle is missing. They are illegal in Seattle. :/

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
The picture of the cat with the son. That is a great example of how the Savannahs show loyalty and affection. They will sit and sleep near you. They want to be near their humans and part of their life. But as a creature with a "God" complex, just don't hold me. That young boy has a pal for life!
I think we got lucky with Kovu. He loves to be held & snuggled!

Attachments

• 621250_3754251250583_289242530_o.jpg
    621250_3754251250583_289242530_o.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 16

Patty

Breeding Savannahs for the Home
I am assuming that according to your "name" you are an Army family, you have to be careful as to where you will be stationed unless you/husband is ETSing/retiring. Savannahs are banned from some states as you are probably aware of.

A

Armywife

We're re-enlisting in the next few months after having been out for awhile. From what I can tell the Army sees them as just normal cats but I'll check into it further. We still have a few years before we start looking at breeders. We want to get the house ready (stream lined), let our beloved rat Georgie live out his life and let our son get a little older first. If it works out better to wait until retirement than that's okay..just gives us more time to prepare.