Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

New savannah momma

Kodas.momma

Savannah Super Cat
Hello everyone! I'm a new savannah momma. We just got Koda :). He is a 6 month old F5SBT. We're also looking into getting an f2 at some point! He is the most awesome kitty. Plays in the bath tub,walks on a leash, loves to nuzzle your face and sleep on your chest. He obsessed with balls and his toy rat (fake stuffed ray that's kitty weed scented).

I joined this group to make sure we give koda the best life possible. He is a registered ESA for our 4 year old son and the most amazing little guy ever.

We have so many questions and had no where to ask them! The breeder had him on Authority adult hair all control. But we want him to have a better quality food. He has been free fed which I know you can't do with raw. But we've been looking into raw and dehydrated/freeze dried raw. He doesn't seem to eat very much kibble at all he's had 1/8th of a cup of kibble in 2 days :( which seems very very low to me. I tried a sample of raw we were given today called small batch cat-chicken batch. He sniffed it and walked away. He won't eat any dehydrated treats either. He is peeingand pooping well though I think?? In 24hrs he's had 2 pees (I think) and 3 poops.

He has no interest in cat scratching posts or any toys that aren't balls. He is a definite lap kitty and follows us around everywhere. Will cry at the door if he sees us outside without him.

I would love any pointers/tips or do&donts!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 30

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It's unusual for a cat to turn down freeze-dried treats, did you try soaking them first? Are they chicken, or ?? The Small Batch looks like it's made out of lamb, it's possible that he's just not used to that protein and it doesn't do much for him. 1/8 cup of kibble is very little if that's all he's eating - are you offering him canned or anything else during the day?

There is an entire forum dedicated to diets and raw, you might want to sift through the topics there for more ideas on what you can try with Koda: http://www.savannahcatchat.com/forums/savannah-cat-diet/

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Welcome! Koda is so cute...and I love his name :in love:

Maybe Koda doesn't like chicken....? It is a bit strange that he didn't give it a shot though. Zeddie started out on chicken, but didn't even make it through a bag before she thought it was icky. What about sprinkling some treats into it, to entice him? If he gives it a shot, he might like it after all. Or maybe he isn't a huge fan of the texture

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Hi. Welcome to the forum! Koda is a cutie-pie! I am assuming that you have only had him for a few days....? If that is the case, you need to keep him on whatever food your breeder was giving him for several weeks until he acclimates to his new surroundings. After that, you should start trying a variety of foods (slowly introduced and either mixed into his current food or along with if it) until you determine what he likes and doesn't like.
Where are you located?

Kodas.momma

Savannah Super Cat
I am in San Diego California. I was worried keeping him on the food he is on because it's for adults and hairball control when he is a kitten. Also because it's a low quality food :( lots of fillers and grains.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Welcome aboard... Pretty kitties... Please post more pictures.. They look very nice. I really like that first pic with the paws crossed and looking back... Almost looks like it was a pose.. But I know how hard it is to get these kitties to pose...

BTW, to mention Posing for pictures, did anyone ever try to take your Savannah to a Pet Store for Christmas Pictures with Santa????

Kodas.momma

Savannah Super Cat
No
Welcome aboard... Pretty kitties... Please post more pictures.. They look very nice. I really like that first pic with the paws crossed and looking back... Almost looks like it was a pose.. But I know how hard it is to get these kitties to pose...

BTW, to mention Posing for pictures, did anyone ever try to take your Savannah to a Pet Store for Christmas Pictures with Santa????

No nobody mentioned Santa photos! I will have to do that!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 24

Kodas.momma

Savannah Super Cat
It looks like he just finished a hard play session and could not go on any longer... But you will find that these kitties come with a rapid recharge system.

Oh yeah! He had been chasing his crinkle ball everywhere for a good 20mins. He crashed for about 10mins then was back to his ball. Couldn't ask for a more perfect Furr baby