Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

New kitten room question

barbja

Savannah Super Cat
I've read that, when you bring your new kitten home, you should keep him/her isolated in a small space in your house separate from your other animals for about two weeks.

I'm planning on setting up our small playroom (10x10) as a 'kitten room'. We'll take everything out and put only cat stuff back in.

My question is: during this isolation period, how much time do you need to spend in there with the kitten? Every minute you possibly can?

Another question: I also read somewhere a suggestion to put a tv in the room with animal planet on. 1) would a kitten actually care about a tv? (we go to work/school). 2) if a tv is in the room, would the cat grow up assuming that he now 'owns TV's'? (that's something I definitely do NOT want to happen -- I went to a great effort to make sure my son thought that in no way whatsoever; I don't need a cat now cruising my tv).

admin

Paige
Staff member
You should spend as much time as possible so you bond with your kitten. Sounds like you are well prepared, which is great!

I do sometimes leave the TV on (AP) when I am going to be out for hours...I think it may be good for a kitten who is alone (no buddy kitten), but it is certainly not necessary. And no, the kitten will not grow up depending on the TV ;) I'm sure you will get other opinions as well...

TwistMiss

Greta T.
Personally, when I bring a new cat/kitten home, I'll spend as much time as I can in the isolation room with the kitten, but I don't force it to get to know me. I'll bring in my laptop or a book and let the kitten come to me, on it's own terms. I won't usually 'drag' it out of hiding (unless it's in a place where it can get hurt or I need to bring to to the vet or similar) and after a day or two I'll start bribing it with treats to come out if it seems very skittish. Luckily I've finished my schooling and I do my work from home, so I don't need to worry about leaving it alone for long periods of time. Instead of a television, try a small radio and play calming music, that way the cat won't get 'addicted' and think that the television is owned by them. ^.^

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, I think a small radio is probably as good as TV...I do like to leave some noise in a room when a cat is spending time by itself. Of course, I don't know if they need it or I think they do...

Spending as much of that time in there is good, you want to bond to that kitten and that is what the quarantine period is about as much as the infection aspect. BUT, if you have other pets make sure you don't ignore them either! So it will make for a more hectic two weeks giving enough time to all pets but it will be worth it in the end :)

Paul B

Sorte
I have been wondering this too when my boy gets here Friday. We do have a spare bedroom that I can clean out and keep him in there for a while. But I was wondering, since he is already 9 months old (not 10-12 weeks), should I still be keeping him isolated for a week or two?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, the reasons for quarantine are still the same. The stress of the move can lower the immune system making your new cat (or kitten) more susceptible to getting sick. Additionally their recent vet visit (if being shipped they went to the vet for a health certificate) could have exposed them to something that you don't want introduced to the rest of your household.

But ALSO the reason for keeping them isolated is to ensure bonding to YOU before they are distracted by everything else your household has to offer. Those days of "boredom" where the only fun thing is your visit will establish your bond...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
HA. Once you set eyes on that wittle face & get your first head butt you won't ever want to leave the room. When each of mine was in isolation, I'd sit in there and watch them sleep. Every whisker twitch or paw twitch was a miracle. When they were sleeping was the only time I actually got to get a good look at them because when they were awake, they were pretty much just bits of blurry motion.

After a day or two of settling in, you'll notice a sleep/wake pattern. Try to spend time in there when the kitten is awake, play with it for bit and just like others have suggested, just sit in there and read or amuse yourself in other ways. Trust me, you are going to find it harder to stay away than you might think. And remember to keep your camera with you.

Paul B

Sorte
HA. Once you set eyes on that wittle face & get your first head butt you won't ever want to leave the room. When each of mine was in isolation, I'd sit in there and watch them sleep. Every whisker twitch or paw twitch was a miracle. When they were sleeping was the only time I actually got to get a good look at them because when they were awake, they were pretty much just bits of blurry motion.

After a day or two of settling in, you'll notice a sleep/wake pattern. Try to spend time in there when the kitten is awake, play with it for bit and just like others have suggested, just sit in there and read or amuse yourself in other ways. Trust me, you are going to find it harder to stay away than you might think. And remember to keep your camera with you.

Oh Deborah, just thinking about those little headbutts gets me all giddy. LOL! I'm sure I will be finding anything I can do in there from the moment I get up until I have to work. Then when I get home until bed time! Haha, the Wifey is going to be jealous for a week or two (I'm sure she'll be in there quite a bit too though). Yes, that camera will be with me quite a bit. I always say, it's the time you don't have it with you that the best things happen. Love your signature to Deborah. I feel like I'm going to get this bug.