Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Need some insight from the experts please...

jamesptn

Savannah Super Cat
Good morning!!! I need some help from those of you who have more knowledge than I do on some behavior obe of my boys has started displaying....here it goes!!!

My wife and I have 2 F5A savannah males (brothers), Rocky and Apollo...until recently, Apollo has been the more playful, and probably more dominant of the 2. I bought a wand with colored feathers on it-approx 5 ft long-and they both loved it. Apollo played with it the most, jumping and turning flips and doing whatever necessary to catch it, and then out of no where about 2 weeks ago, Apollo began pouncing on the toy and then running and hiding and refusing to play anymore, while Rocky took over and played his little heart out. They now split time on top of the ceiling high cat tree instead of it always being Apollo on the top limb, and Apollo doesn't really play as much, even with a smaller wand, as he used too...he makes that one pounce and is done as opposed to catching the feathers, prancing around the room w the fethers in mouth and dragging the wand behind and then laying it at my feet to play more like he has done for so long...he does still chase and wrestle with his brother, but doesnt play with the wands nearly as much as he used too and it confuses me because he LOVED it for so long...

It is strange to me that he has given up top spot on the tree and HIS top branch perch (ocassionally) to his brother and I would love some insight from more expierienced savannah owners...how can I get Apollo more involved again???

admin

Paige
Staff member
James, how old are they? I remember asking this same question a while ago on kitten development...the same exact thing occurred with Taj...and eventually Zuri to some degree...they get older and begin stalking and hunting rather than really playing, although they still play, but differently.

it could also be possible that Apollo is not feeling well, so that would be the first thing I would rule out.

jamesptn

Savannah Super Cat
I also tried switching back to one of his old, smaller wands, which worked for a few play sessions and then he started doing the exact same thing with it...stalk, pounce, run around the corner, down the hall, and then right strait under the table where he just lays and watches his brother play...Is he maybe bored with the wands?

admin

Paige
Staff member
he could be bored or he could be just exhibiting the hunting type behavior that cats exhibit...every cat is different, but I have noticed this happening when they begin growing up, which is why I asked how old your boys are.

jamesptn

Savannah Super Cat
Paige, they are about 15 months old...maybe thats it, he's just growing up faster than his brother.

I will mention this...in the past Apollo has always "claimed" every toy I have brought home for him. He would carry it around the house growling for a few mins and then drop it at my feet to play and would let his brother join in as well. With this toy, he did the same thing, but when he put it down his brother picked it up and growled and would not turn loose of the feathers for a good hour. He guarded it and then finally brought it to me to play more...

admin

Paige
Staff member
So maybe Rocky is now claiming his place as the more dominant one...since Apollo did the same thing he usually does, but then Rocky picked it up and wouldn't let it go, Apollo may be giving in to Rocky now...and...they are growing up now as well...I have seen this behavior here...sometimes I wish they would stay kittens ;)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think Paige answered this nicely... cats do change as they grow up and also the household hierarchy will change with that :)

jamesptn

Savannah Super Cat
I think Paige answered this nicely... cats do change as they grow up and also the household hierarchy will change with that :)

I have a feeling that once their F3C sister from Victory Lane Savannahs gets here that the hierarchy will change again and she will be top cat!!! LoL