Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Meet Sylar and his humans

T

tristin

Hello there! I was very excited to discover this community, but the holidays have been extremely hectic, so I haven't had a chance to spend time here. Now I have a little more availability, so I thought I'd introduce our little family.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1356937987.229581.jpg

This is Sylar. He is a 5-year-old Savannah that was spirited into our (my wife's and my) lives about a month ago through a miracle. His prior owner wanted to find him a new home and had nearly given up when we crossed paths. We had been searching for a Savannah for months and had thought we would get a kitten. However, we agreed to meet Sylar just to see how it felt. As it happens it only took us a second to fall madly in love with him. He was perfect and we knew it. The transition to our new home took place over three weeks so that he could acclimate to us before being thrown into the chaos of a new home. We visited him weekly during the transition and made friends before the big move.

You may have noticed that I did not state his heritage. The reason is that we aren't entirely sure. The previous owner claims he is an F1 from a chattery in Florida, but we have no proof and plenty of doubts. Her memory of the facts was particularly vague for some reason. Sylar weighs about 15 lbs and we have worked our way into his heart to the point that he will cuddle with us for several minutes at a time and sleep curled up with us at night. My previous experience and understanding with Savannahs was that F1's are bigger and do not do cuddles, so we're unsure. I've read through the forum and I realize I could be wrong to doubt, so I'm curious about everyone's thoughts here.

Anyway, I don't want to go on too long, so I'll wrap it up. I have so many questions, especially as a new adoptee, but I'll try to search around before bringing up old questions that are already answered. I'm so excited to get to know this community. The cats in your pictures are just amazing!

Edit: sorry about the sideways picture. I'm on my iPad and still figuring this forum thing out.

jungle boy

Savannah Super Cat
Welcome top the forum! You have a VERY beautiful young man there! Tall, dark and handsome! It looks like has a black nose too, am I correct? That dark smoldering look is very cool! And he looks quite confident in you home already! Congratulations! ;)

T

tristin

You are right, jungleboy. His nose is mostly black with just a bit of pink in the middle. We call him our beautiful boy, especially while he is blocking the TV before bed. He knows he is more interesting than the Walking Dead anyway and we agree. Thank you for the welcome!

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Sylar is a gorgeous boy, and welcome! He is most definitely an F1 or 2 by the pic that you posted.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Welcome tristin! Sylar is a gorgeous boy and glad he is settling in.

Do you know what cattery he came from?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Hi tristin, you have a beautiful boy there! It's hard to tell much by the pic you sent but he certainly looks like he could be an F1 or F2, and from the size of his spots I might guess he is from Drinkwater cattery. Do you have any other pics with better lighting and where his ears are forward?

T

tristin

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! Here are some more pics.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1356998096.093320.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1356998441.862385.jpg

Sorry, no good pics with his ears down (hence the top-down shot instead). We looked up Drinkwater Cattery and it definitely looks like Sylar was bred there. Maybe we'll contact them and try to track down his lineage details.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Welcome Tristan and Sylar! He is very beautiful!

He may also be from the Karashkats Cattery in the Tampa area.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think from his looks that Karakashkats is a good guess as breeder and I definitely think from those pics that he could be F1...size is NOT guaranteed even at that generation. I have had F1s that range from 11lbs to 17lbs as females. He is a beautiful boy in any case :)

I'm so glad the transition has gone that great, how wonderful that he found you!

As to not cuddling, they are an active cat but affectionate. Both my current F1s insist on sleeping with us at night, one wishes to curl up close to my side or back but the other likes to anchor my feet. Both come up multiple times a day to give me headbutts and rubs...as well as to ask for play. It can be hard to describe the affection of a high-energy cat. They usually aren't cats you can pick up and put on your lap and expect them to stay, but that doesn't mean they don't choose at times to come to be petted or cuddle up with you!