Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Loose Stools, on and off

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
Ziggy and Oni are both picky eaters--especially Ziggy, my F2. Often it's mix some tuna in or kitty crack sprinkled on top and then hope. Now and then he'll vomit much of it back up, even if he does eat. But he's holding at about 13lbs, +-.5, so I think we're doing reasonably well.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
What exactly is "kitty crack" anyway?

(And just to clarify in only referring to the crack you might put on food you dirty birds!!)

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
Freeze dried chicken, especially the crumbles at the bottom of the bag. Actually, freeze dried turkey works as well for Ziggy. One likes the freeze dried fish best.

I use it for clicker training and rewards for coming voluntarily back to the house after walks. Seems expensive by weight, but it lasts a long time.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Are you supposed to feed SV actual meats? Don't they just eat regular cat food?
You can feed them a high quality commercial food (no corn, high protein) and/or meat as a treat. Some prefer to feed kibble or canned or a combo of both. Some prefer to feed homemade ground raw, some prefer to feed a whole prey diet.

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
Everyone has their own opinions on how to feed their cats. Some people with mutts feed raw. Some SVs survive fine on kibble. I feed mine good canned food, but I have to rotate brands and flavors. I do supplement with a bit of taurine, and they get freeze dried duck hearts for treats, and the organs from whole chickens when I cook one.

An earlier cat, Vampire, a medium hair stray, had itchy skin and poor fur quality. Putting him on raw cleared that up.

Last edited:

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm thinking Dino might be developing an allergy to the chicken, although it might be the liver or hearts. I would start eliminating one item at a time to see if it clears up.