Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Litter box problems

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
The boys are on their way to being toilet training. We are up to the point where they are using the toilet with a half roasting pan that has two inches cut away in the back. I maintain about an inch of litter (flushable) in the pans. Ulysses and Jackson are doing fine with it. Every few days I will be taking another inch away.....

That's great news, Aundrea!

admin

Paige
Staff member
The boys are on their way to being toilet training. We are up to the point where they are using the toilet with a half roasting pan that has two inches cut away in the back. I maintain about an inch of litter (flushable) in the pans. Ulysses and Jackson are doing fine with it. Every few days I will be taking another inch away.....

Aundrea...any way you can post a pic of what you are using as far as the roasting pan?

AundreaLea

Site Supporter
I bought a book, The Toilet Trained Cat. We are using half alumimim roasting pans. You go thru a series of steps. Getting the cat use to using the pan and flushable litter. Moving the pan next to the toilet. Raising the pan up untill it's even with the top of the toilet. Set the pan on top of the closed toilet lid. Move the pan into the toilet bowl. Cut a little one by one inch square in the back of the pan. Start cut the hole across the back of the pan until you have a one inch strip across the back. Then start to cut away an inch at a time. When you're down to just an inch of pan get rid of the litter. Then get rid of the pan. Lots of hints and suggestions. So far so good. The kitties are learning slowly to put their paws on the seat as the box grows smaller.

AundreaLea

Site Supporter
One of the suggestions is too reenforce the pan with duct tape. Of course, you leave the seat down for the kitties. I lifted it up for clarity. :paw: I also keep clorex wipes on the back of the toilet tank. Until we get litter free ............
IMG_20120311_203429.jpg

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the info Aundrea. I think I'll have to try something a bit stronger for my guys. They weigh 16 & 18 lbs. I read a few reviews on-line where folks said the duct tape doesn't work too well.

K

Kronos

Aundrea, that is such a clever method, and so much more cost effective! Do you find when the cats step in the aluminum that it is sturdy enough they do not break through it? Did they at one point and realize that it won't hold them? That would be my only fear with this method, but I think I really want to try it.

AundreaLea

Site Supporter
Aundrea, that is such a clever method, and so much more cost effective! Do you find when the cats step in the aluminum that it is sturdy enough they do not break through it? Did they at one point and realize that it won't hold them? That would be my only fear with this method, but I think I really want to try it.

Well my boys aren't quite six months old. So they are fairly light. I also duct taped the pans with 4 layers on the bottom and sides. Right now about half the bottom is gone and so far no accidents. Well except for the first night when my husband got up in the middle of the night..........