Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Jua Ini Savannahs

Amanda Hughes

Savannah Super Cat
Has anyone had any dealings with Jua Ini Savannahs? I see there is positive feedback on her site, she is willing to let me see her cattery because I'm interested in buying 2 Savannahs from her and I wanted to go to her cattery to pick them up. I've had good experience with her so far, but I wanted to see what the community had to say.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I've met Sabira before, many years ago a cat of her's was surrendered to Rescue, she flew up to San Francisco to meet me as I had retrieved the cat for her. That says a lot about her level of responsibility to her own cats. And yes, being able to see them at her home/cattery is also nice :)

Amanda Hughes

Savannah Super Cat
Yes. I will be buying 2 of her boys. Probably Porthos and Aramis or one of those 2 and Ember or Puff. I have done a great deal of research. I originally only wanted to buy from Monterey Savannahs or Spotlight Savannahs. But the breeders have not yet gotten back to me after a week and have not returned my calls.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Has anyone had any dealings with Jua Ini Savannahs?
I have an F2 male from her. My experience wasn't the best but I would not call her a bad breeder. My cat was slow to wean and as a consequence I had to change my flight to pick him up several times at considerable cost to me. When I commented on his thinness in the pics she sent, she said it was probably due to his slow transition to solids. I think he was about 15 wks old at the time. When she said he was finally ready to come home, I flew down and waited for her at my hotel. She called to say she was late getting him to the vet for a checkup and had found out that day that he had coccidia and giardia. She offered to keep him until the course of meds was finished. I opted to bring him home.

When she brought him to the hotel, I saw that he wasn't very interactive with her. I thought it was because he was in a strange place. When I brought him home he wanted nothing to do with me. I waited several weeks to start his meds because I wanted us to have a bond and establish trust before I started medicating him. Didn't work. He didn't want to be touched at all so I had to wrap him in a towel to get the meds in him. I think that traumatized him further.

Long story short, he's 5 yrs old and still doesn't like me much. He tolerates me. After working diligently with him for the first 3 years, I can pet him but he is not a people cat.

Part of the above is due to his personality, part to what happened after I brought him home, and part to whatever happened while he was with Sabira. My best advice is to carefully observe the kitten you have chosen and be sure that it is socialized to humans. If it wants nothing to do with you or appears not to engage with you or enjoy you, choose another kitten.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Oh dear, I'd forgotten or not known that that was the breeder of your F2 boy... that definitely does not qualify as a good experience :-(

Amanda Hughes

Savannah Super Cat
I know sometimes a sick cat can crop up in even the best breeders. Not to make excuses. It's always a risk. I just wish Monterey Savannahs and Spotlight Savannahs would get back to me.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I know sometimes a sick cat can crop up in even the best breeders. Not to make excuses. It's always a risk. I just wish Monterey Savannahs and Spotlight Savannahs would get back to me.

Are there any other breeders in California you are interested in? I would skip Monterey...if a breeder does not get back to you in a week, I would move on...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
It wasn't the illness that was the issue. It was his socialization. He is a large boy, 21 lbs; 18 inches at the shoulder and I can't pick him up. He has to be sedated at the vets for simple exams. If something goes wrong with his health that requires handling, we're both screwed.

Amanda Hughes

Savannah Super Cat
Spotlight Savannahs was one. But it's pretty much the same story and they seem to be the best breeders. Especially spotlight. I'm trying to keep it within the state. Jua Ini is the only breeder so far to get back to me other than Rare Exotic Breeds