Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Is there any organization that truly helps animals ...

admin

Paige
Staff member
Ah, Rob, you are now seeing what we have been saying all along...I think there are some great local shelters and that is who I donate to...I have also donated to Savannah Rescue and another rescue, where I knew what my money was going to be used for...I donate to the Winn Feline Foundation as well, since research is vital to the health of our cats.

I say...we start our own Animal Charity and screw the corrupt others who really don't give a damn about animals.

Thanks for posting this link.

Trish Allearz

I donate to SV Rescue when I can- not as often as I'd like. I donate to the Winn Foundation- which isn't rescue or charity, but it is the organization that pushes hard to further feline health research. Locally- I don't care for the rescues here. I was just talking to a friend the other day and she was explaining how infuriating this one huge rescue locally is- they basically pull animals from the shelter and then 'flip' them. They like to pull the cute, playful babies for nothing and then charge literally $400-$500 in adoption fees and guess what? They don't evaluate the animals (rescues should), they don't care who they adopt out to (rescues should) and they just gross me out, I guess. LOL.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I try to help at my local shelter as often as I can. I have donated toys, food, collars and leashes, towels...they are really trying to do a good job. The euthanization rate has gone way down and the adoption rate up since a new group took it over...and they are not affiliated with HSUS!. All animals are now spayed, neutered and vaccinated before placing. I hear great things about them. It is clean and well run with many volunteers. My fiance volunteers at their annual fundraising dinner when he is able to.

I also know of a woman who does take the cute and pretty and healthy cats, kittens, dogs and puppies from high-kill shelters in her area. Without her, those babies would be given one day (or less) at the shelters to find a home...and they are horrible places. She does not charge anything to place them and will drive hours to deliver them...she is a hero in my book!

Trish Allearz

I try to help at my local shelter as often as I can. I have donated toys, food, collars and leashes, towels...they are really trying to do a good job. The euthanization rate has gone way down and the adoption rate up since a new group took it over...and they are not affiliated with HSUS!. All animals are now spayed, neutered and vaccinated before placing. I hear great things about them. It is clean and well run with many volunteers. My fiance volunteers at their annual fundraising dinner when he is able to.

I also know of a woman who does take the cute and pretty and healthy cats, kittens, dogs and puppies from high-kill shelters in her area. Without her, those babies would be given one day (or less) at the shelters to find a home...and they are horrible places. She does not charge anything to place them and will drive hours to deliver them...she is a hero in my book!
I have no problem taking the cutie babies IF they have no chance in the shelter. Here- they have a pretty good chance of being adopted. If the rescue was taking them at the end of their 'stay' before they were to be euth'ed- it would be a bit different, but I still don't believe in flipping puppies!

The cats- though- oh, the poor cats in our shelters here... We pulled 4 or 5 when we were doing regular kitty rescue and only ONE survived. The others all died from the crap they picked up in the shelter- and they died with us FIGHTING for them to live. It was horrible.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I have no problem taking the cutie babies IF they have no chance in the shelter. Here- they have a pretty good chance of being adopted. If the rescue was taking them at the end of their 'stay' before they were to be euth'ed- it would be a bit different, but I still don't believe in flipping puppies!

The cats- though- oh, the poor cats in our shelters here... We pulled 4 or 5 when we were doing regular kitty rescue and only ONE survived. The others all died from the crap they picked up in the shelter- and they died with us FIGHTING for them to live. It was horrible.

No, the one shelter gives them NO chance. I believe entire litters are euthanized at intake. Some "may" get 3 days :( It is also located in a very poor economic district...I give kudos to the rescue woman who does what she can and doesn't ask for money in return, only a good forever home.

Trish Allearz

No, the one shelter gives them NO chance. I believe entire litters are euthanized at intake. Some "may" get 3 days :( It is also located in a very poor economic district...I give kudos to the rescue woman who does what she can and doesn't ask for money in return, only a good forever home.
Yeah- that's a hard job. A very hard job. The only ones that don't get a chance here are the ones who don't pass the intake tests and if they are too young- and this is really sad- they are automatically euth'ed. But it isn't financially sound for the rescue to take on the kittens, but I know they DO take in young puppies and then resell them for $500 adoption fees.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
Yeah- that's a hard job. A very hard job. The only ones that don't get a chance here are the ones who don't pass the intake tests and if they are too young- and this is really sad- they are automatically euth'ed. But it isn't financially sound for the rescue to take on the kittens, but I know they DO take in young puppies and then resell them for $500 adoption fees.
So there's this rescue inside our petsmart that is getting Savannah kittens.. again. I believe Paige or someone had contacted them before when they were supposed to get some, but it fell through. They are selling them for an arm & a leg. Over $1,000 each.

I usually donate to the animal control in my hometown in Altus, OK. They are a very high kill gassing facility. The volunteers have made a rescue organization called Save The Paws of Altus. They've racked up over $26,000 so far at the vet's office. Yikes! BUT that being said, only a hand full have been gassed. So its worth it to make sure these babies find safe homes. I have a whole big bag full of discounted collars (1.49 at Target), *HEALTHY* treats. Then of course money to go towards the big vet bill.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat

I hear you. :/ Right now ALL the animals at Altus are having a hard time fighting Parvo & Distemper. The terrible thing was that animal control KNEW for over a month & was still letting these animals be transported & go to fosters or to go to their forever homes. Where then MORE animals were infected.

One pointer boy went from OK to Cali, his foster mom spent thousands on his care to only end up having to put him to sleep. It was a very difficult and sad situation.

Their solution was to just gas all the animals at the shelter & start over. Even the healthy ones. :( LUCKILY the rescuers talked them into letting an outside vet come in & look over the dogs & she was able to save quite a few of them. Only 3 or 4 had to be euthanize out of the 40 that they were going to kill.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat

And I find it totally unethical for those who take them for free and resell them for big bucks...I see them on Craigslist a lot too.....there is a special place in hell for those people.