Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Interactive Map of Savannah Cat Legalities

Jerry

Savannah Kitten
I just received an email back from Doug Pyatt, Guadalupe County, TX animal control supervisor. I had emailed him inquiring about a permit. He told me that the Savannah cat did not require a permit in Guadalupe County. I quoted hybridlaw.com where is states one is required. I will update when I receive a reply from him on the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

admin

Paige
Staff member
That county is actually one of the few that is ok...i have spoken to Doug

Jerry

Savannah Kitten
So he is correct that I do not need a permit or registration for a Savannah?

Jerry

Savannah Kitten
I'm even more confused now...

"No permit is required for these animals in Guadalupe Co. We only require permits for Dangerous Wild Animals, and your cats are not included with those."

Doug Pyatt
Guadalupe Co Animal Control Supervisor

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Jerry,
State law trumps county/city law so even though Guadalupe Co may not require permit, if the State of Texas does, then you should get the permit.

Jerry

Savannah Kitten
Thank you for the info.

Doug's reply:

"I am aware, they are so cross bred and interbred now that there is not enough Serval left in them anymore. We do not consider them dangerous wild animals. This is a good thing, because if we did you would not be able to get a permit for one just to keep as a pet. I really do appreciate you taking the time to look into this before you purchase the animal. I wish more people would do this. Enjoy your new cat!

Doug"

Patti

Admin
Staff member
State law doesn't actually trump city or county law, however city or county laws cannot be more permissive than state laws, only more restrictive. TX law states any hybrid of a serval is considered a dangerous wild animal, so although Guadalupe county is saying they don't recognize Savannahs as such, legally they cannot make that statement. On the other hand TX law says that is will defer to each county to handle their own DWA problems, so even though by state law it is illegal to own a Savannah without a permit (and liabilitiy insurance, and special housing, etc.), it sounds like Guadalupe - at this time - won't bother you. The problem arises when there is a turnover of politicians and you get an AR person in a position of power, then you may find a complete reversal of their stance (which, even if it is a written statute which I doubt, would not be legal).