Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Individual play time

For those of you out there that have multiple sv, do you find that your cats require individual play time?

As many of you know I have Zeus at home now, and Abu will be joining us early next month. (Zues was born exactly one week before Abu - so they are both approximately 3 months old now) I know that Zeus LOVES his play time.

In the past when I tried to play with both my domestics at the same time only one would play. Has this been your experience, or do both play at same time? If they both play at once, do they fight over the object being played with?

I believe play time is especially important for kittens, but it is also important for the adult cats too. If necessary I'll take one into closed room and play and then the other into a separate room if required.

As always your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Trish Allearz

It depends upon the kittens, in my eyes. Sometimes, when there is a bigger age/size difference- it seems like the bigger kittens will hog the toy. For example- I had F2s and F6s at the same time and the F2s were significantly bigger kittens compared to a few of the F6 babies. Well, the F2s would hog the toy- so I would play with the F2s and then play with the F6s. In your case, I would wait and see how it goes, but I think that Abu and Zeus will probably play together with the wand and whatnot.

Ty Trish,

I hope that Zeus and Abu are close in size throughout their lives. The last pictures I saw of Abu, looked like he is a big boy.

Attached is a picture of Zeus this morning (on makeshift shelf in front of windows (ironing board lol until can instal permanent shelf)) in my bedroom ... I found that Zeus wants to see outside and if he has to, he has demonstrated that he has no problem claiming screen and hanging there to get his view)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336414206.575454.jpg
Zeus

Are the cats near in size? Being my first sv, idk how Zeus rates, but have included a picture of his father (I can hope Zeus gets as big)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336414342.291824.jpg
Zeus' sire

Trish Allearz

Abu was 5 pounds last week or so :) He is a big boy, but since he is our first boy from JillyBean, I'm not sure what size he'll grow to :) With the pics, it is perspective that makes Zeus's dad look huge :) But as an F2, I am sure Zeus will be a nice sized boy :D

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I don't know if size is the determining factor when it comes to toy hogs...some kitties are just more intense in getting that toy and keeping it. You will likely just have to wait and see how your kittens play together to know if you feel you need to separate them for a little one-on-one play...

I usually find that even for the most timid of kitty players, I can find a moment when the more dominant ones aren't around and make sure they get some special playtime... and then often once you've taken the edge off the more dominant one the others sit and bide their time for that opportunity... and it all works out. My British Shorthair tends to sit at the sidelines watching the crazies (the Savannahs) leap all over and then wait for his opportunity to dart in and start throwing his weight after the toy :)

Trish Allearz

I don't know if size is the determining factor when it comes to toy hogs...some kitties are just more intense in getting that toy and keeping it. You will likely just have to wait and see how your kittens play together to know if you feel you need to separate them for a little one-on-one play...

I usually find that even for the most timid of kitty players, I can find a moment when the more dominant ones aren't around and make sure they get some special playtime... and then often once you've taken the edge off the more dominant one the others sit and bide their time for that opportunity... and it all works out. My British Shorthair tends to sit at the sidelines watching the crazies (the Savannahs) leap all over and then wait for his opportunity to dart in and start throwing his weight after the toy :)
Very true- B- some kittens are toy hogs regardless! I just noticed that one time that I had to ensure I played with a couple of the babies separately, but they also weren't as persistent as the other kittens.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
My large F2 Maliik and my teeny bean of an F6 Taji play together with feather wands and laser lights. When Maliik first started interacting with Taji, Maliik would hog the wand simply because he was so much larger. After a few times playing together though, they worked out a system between them and they each take their turns chasing the feather while the other sits patiently watching. At some signal that I can't perceive, they switch places. I was relieved about that because I really didn't want to have to schedule individual play dates with 3 cats. Juba will not play with toys with the other two. He likes to play my himself.

But when it comes to mommy time that's a whole other thing. Each one needs his alone time with me and I think they count the cuddle minutes to be sure there is equal distribution.:rolleyes:

admin

Paige
Staff member
Now my situation is different...Zuri is a hog and Taj just sits and watches when he used to play...so I tried putting Zuri in the bedroom to play with Taj...well, she cries to get out and then he goes to the door and stands there waiting for her to get out.

However, they now both sit and wait to go out in their enclosure and they play together out there, so maybe that is enough...

My personal experience is my dominant cat is the least aggressive when playing. He just sits back, watches and rarely plays. ={.

Size is a nice thing and I hope both my svs are monsters, but regardless they will be loved members of my family.

And Trish, I do agree there was clever camera work at play to make Fuzion look "larger than life" ... Tho he is still a respectable size :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Now my situation is different...Zuri is a hog and Taj just sits and watches when he used to play...so I tried putting Zuri in the bedroom to play with Taj...well, she cries to get out and then he goes to the door and stands there waiting for her to get out.

However, they now both sit and wait to go out in their enclosure and they play together out there, so maybe that is enough...
Have you tried the two wand toy thing? One in each hand and get the dominant one playing with the one toy before using the other for the less dominant cat. Takes a bit of practice to get it right but it can help...