Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

How to Know a Breeder

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dantes

Hi all,

Any hints or tips on how to check out a potential breeder? I have my eye on a kitty (an F6C who has been described as a SingingKitty because he yodels), but am wary about the breeder, not for anything she's done, but just for the horror stories and previous negative experience of other breeders I've heard about. I've asked her for references, and of course they came back glowing ;) but how else can you tell if the breeder is a good breeder? Can we ask here "What is the reputation of breeder X?" (I'm thinking of that site "Don't date him, girlfriend!" lol) What would be a polite way to do something like that?

Beyond that, how do you know who you can trust? I mean, I'm looking for a kit with personality, so all I have to go on is trusting the breeder's description...not to mention how hard it is to describe the personality of an 8-week old kitten lol

Thanks!

Julie

Savannah Super Cat
Google, I'd go by that more then a breeders "reference" as of course they will only give you the positives.

Post up who you're looking at see if anyon has delt with them before.

As for personality by 8 weeks it does show some, but honestly I don't think it's set till they are closer to 1.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Is there a chance you can visit the breeder? When you say horror stories, are you talking generalities or something specific with that breeder.

Most good breeders will take your phone calls, answer all of your questions, send you photos and/or videos, etc. You can ask here and then people can private message you. we have a private messaging system built in called "start a conversation" so you can also click on any user name and ask privately.

And all of the breeders listed in our breeder directory here are highly recommended by me :)

D

Dantes

Is there a chance you can visit the breeder? When you say horror stories, are you talking generalities or something specific with that breeder.

Most good breeders will take your phone calls, answer all of your questions, send you photos and/or videos, etc. You can ask here and then people can private message you. we have a private messaging system built in called "start a conversation" so you can also click on any user name and ask privately.

And all of the breeders listed in our breeder directory here are highly recommended by me :)
I'm talking generalities (but somewhat specific to my experience buying my ragdoll), but I think ultimately, it will come down to visiting. But man, some of these breeders live in remote locations! I guess it's time I go see the world ;)

PS. Where do I find the breeder directory?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Ah, I thought you were talking specifics about a particular breeder...Take a look on the forum and you will see the breeder directory: http://www.savannahcatchat.com/forums/savannah-cat-breeders/ - as for the link you posted, I do not have any personal experience with that breeder...we do not trash breeders here, but this is an open forum and you can ask away...we will not delete posts here unless they violate the rules, which are much the same rules on most forums, with the exception of trashing breeders.

I'm sure someone here will PM you as far as the link you posted.

have you contacted the breeder? I like visiting, but that is not always practical. My first Sv was purchased locally and I visited him every week from about 3 weeks old until I brought him home. So he already knew his name when I brought him home :)

My second SV, an F4 SBT girl, was shipped to me and I did not visit. But I knew the breeder somewhat, spoke to him, asked questions, received pictures of the kitten and parents. Zuri came to me well socialized, healthy and happy...so while visiting is a deal breaker to some, it was not to me.

admin

Paige
Staff member
There are several people who are members here who can answer you as they know Carol...so just hang on and I'm sure they will get to this post later...

D

Dantes

Ah, I thought you were talking specifics about a particular breeder...Take a look on the forum and you will see the breeder directory: http://www.savannahcatchat.com/forums/savannah-cat-breeders/ - as for the link you posted, I do not have any personal experience with that breeder...we do not trash breeders here, but this is an open forum and you can ask away...we will not delete posts here unless they violate the rules, which are much the same rules on most forums, with the exception of trashing breeders.

I'm sure someone here will PM you as far as the link you posted.

have you contacted the breeder? I like visiting, but that is not always practical. My first Sv was purchased locally and I visited him every week from about 3 weeks old until I brought him home. So he already knew his name when I brought him home :)

My second SV, an F4 SBT girl, was shipped to me and I did not visit. But I knew the breeder somewhat, spoke to him, asked questions, received pictures of the kitten and parents. Zuri came to me well socialized, healthy and happy...so while visiting is a deal breaker to some, it was not to me.

I have spoken to Carol on the phone and she sounds lovely. I guess I'm just covering all my bases? Also, after the fact I did find this: http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/wind-haven-exotics-arizona-c307539.html and http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/wind-haven-ocicats-vernon-arizona-c256600.html but I also know that there are disgruntled people all over the place....

BTW, I wanted to mention that you've done a beautiful job building this site!

admin

Paige
Staff member
I think that speaking to people who know this breeder and have cats from this breeder is helpful. Anyone can say anything online and quite honestly, I rarely believe those type of complaint boards. Neither do I pay attention to yelp or any other site like it...many times people are angry with each other and post on these sites to get even with one another.

Thank you for the compliment, Dantes! Much appreciated...

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
It is never inappropriate to request the breeder have a PCR panel and fecal tests done prior to shipping and provide the buyer with the results. I've always done it this way - If the results are clean then the buyer pays for the costs. If the results show something of concern, then the breeder/seller pays for the tests. If there is something treatable then the breeder should treat the condition and retest prior to shipping.

Alternately the costs could split equally. Of course this only addresses health and not temperament. The complaint boards are a little concerning, but without hearing both sides of the story, it is something you will have to decide to heed or ignore.

Good luck and I hope you find your perfect kitten. :)

Lori
We have F3, F4, F5 & F6 kittens available!
www.cahabacats.com

Status
Not open for further replies.