Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Help with inappropriate elimination

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I got Rafiki used to the Pill Pockets by Greenies by using them as treats. She loves the things. Unfortunately all the medications that I have had to give her so far has been liquid! Jeez. Giving her liquid medications is a 2 person job. You might want to try giving her pill pocket treats in case she has to take pills in the future.

I don't believe you ever mentioned what she eats. Is it possible to mix meds in her food? In some ways, it would be really nice if a UTI is causing the inappropriate peeing as the solution to that, while not easy, is straightforward.

Evie

Savannah Super Cat
Perhaps daily outings in the enclosure will be enough to keep her calm and happy! Try putting treats in the carrier so it becomes an enjoyable activity to go into. You can do this several times a day, not just when you want to get her out into (or out of) the enclosure. That will help get her used to going in and out, and make it easier on you when it's time to transport her.

UTIs can usually be easily treated with antibiotics. The kicker is that they'll need to take a urine sample and if she is unhappy at the vet's they might need to gas her down to get the specimen. Giving her the antibiotic may be tricky (another reason to get her used to taking treats from you). If she is difficult to give medicine to and you're given a liquid antibiotic you might be able to mix it with a bit of wet food, if a tablet you can try hiding it in a piece of cheese or chicken. I have had a couple of cats that I had to withhold food all day long until time for their anibiotic to make sure they would eat it, then give them additional food after the antibiotic was all gone. There is also a one-time injectible antibiotic which is really nice, if the infection is susceptible to cephalosporin antibiotics.
Hi Patti, I won't speak too soon but things are 'dry' here! Kitoko has been down to the enclosure twice today. She is already loads calmer in the carrier. Yesterday she threw herself around trying to escape but today she has already worked out where we were going and did brilliantly. I have been following advice from the forum about putting treats in her carrier and it has worked wonders - although this evening she wasn't keen to come back to the house even with her favourite chick! I hope she will get into a routine. All my cats seem more chilled now they are together fulltime - I really hope this lasts.

I took some photo's today which I will try and get up later.

I will wait and see what the vet says - I can't see her being a very good patient but she might surprise me! I just want to avoid any trauma for her.

Evie

Savannah Super Cat
I got Rafiki used to the Pill Pockets by Greenies by using them as treats. She loves the things. Unfortunately all the medications that I have had to give her so far has been liquid! Jeez. Giving her liquid medications is a 2 person job. You might want to try giving her pill pocket treats in case she has to take pills in the future.

I don't believe you ever mentioned what she eats. Is it possible to mix meds in her food? In some ways, it would be really nice if a UTI is causing the inappropriate peeing as the solution to that, while not easy, is straightforward.
Hi Rafiki, great advice I will get hold of some. She eats a mix of wet, dry, cooked chicken, mice and chicks. I did manage to worm her last month with Panacur sprinkled on her food - she ate most of it!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I completely understand your concerns about taking Kitoko to the vet. I have a couple of cats that I know I could never get there unless drugged beforehand. If things seem to be resolving without a vet visit you might want to rethink that. If your vet is willing to run tests on Kitoko without actually examining her, you can try to collect a urine specimen by putting gravel (like what is used at the bottom of fish tanks) instead of litter in the bottom of a litter box (I know there are several, so again a bit tricky to collect), then you can simply drain it off into a specimen cup and take it to the vet for examination.

Evie

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Patti, I was going to ask my vet how much he could do without actually examining her. I was racking my brains thinking how I could collect a urine sample. Thats a great idea. I will see what the vet says on Monday.
I couldn't upload my photos tonight - I think I need to refer to John's instructions again ! ..I think it was John!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Use the 'Upload a File' button at the bottom of the message box you type in. Your pics need to be less than 2mb in size, if they're bigger than that, then that is the reason you can't make them smaller. Do you have photo editing software? Even Micorsoft Picture Manager allows you to make the pics smaller - and you can save the smaller pic separately so that you can retain both versions.

Evie

Savannah Super Cat
Use the 'Upload a File' button at the bottom of the message box you type in. Your pics need to be less than 2mb in size, if they're bigger than that, then that is the reason you can't make them smaller. Do you have photo editing software? Even Micorsoft Picture Manager allows you to make the pics smaller - and you can save the smaller pic separately so that you can retain both versions.
That's exactly what's happening it says they are too big. I have picasa on my PC so I will see if I can make them smaller. Thank you for the advice.

J.B.

Savannah Super Cat
I need HELP! I'm stressed, my cats stressed, it's a mess.

I had to move for work a year ago, and since then my Savannah Titus has urinated outside of his box. He only does so in my spaces (not my roommates) which led me to believe he was simply distressed. I got him a scented calming collar, didn't work. Took him to the vet to see if it was medical, he's very healthy. They suggested i change his litter and litterbox, i did. He now has a huge tub like in the article you posted with a fine grit clay litter. However he keeps urinating on my carpet and any fabric that's left on the carpet. He doesn't pee on walls or anything vertical, only things he can squat on. He also does not poop outside the box, only pee. I got him a new toy and play with him every evening I'm home. I also got him a another cat tree so he has a new perch in the living room. Nothing is working, and I'm at my wits end. Crawling around smelling for cat pee is literally making me crazy.

I move often for work. I think it's the move that has triggered his behavior. But ive moved twice before with him, and he never had litterbox issues. This last move has been the turning point.

He is 3. An f3. As i said before, never had issues until this last year. He's a pretty skittish cat, but is super comfortable with my roommate and i. He has a little sister Maine coon that i found and bottle fed and he raised and they get along very well and play and keep each other company. He's very smart and i have taught him quite a few tricks, just not the one to get him to stop peeing!

I was seriously considering giving up and finding a new home for him as i feel like a bad owner and nothing seems to be working.. but i can't. He's my baby, even though he's being so difficult. Any and all advice is welcome, i just want us to both be happy and stop stress crying!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I need HELP! I'm stressed, my cats stressed, it's a mess.
Do you know if a cat lived in your new place before you? Maybe that cat peed on the carpet and Titus smells it. You might consider changing the carpet and padding if you're able. If not, buy a boatload of Anti Icky Poo and drench the carpet all the way through the padding and then clean it.
Maybe he needs more than 1 litter box, especially if the one he has isn't located in a quiet private space. There could also be a stray cat outside the house/apartment that is disturbing him.

Frequent moves can take a toll on a species that doesn't like change. Try a phone consult with Marilyn Krieger http://www.thecatcoach.com/ She can help narrow down whether environmental factors are responsible for the behavior change and suggest ways to stop it.