Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Hello!

New here and my name is Liz.
Here because I'm seriously considering a Savannah. I'm an experienced cat owner who loves dogs and is married to a cat lover who doesn't like dogs. -_- Our compromise is a Savannah.

I have kids with my youngest being 4 and zero plans to add any more. Ever.

What are some Savannah specific things I should consider before purchasing?

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
First thing I would say is to find out if they are legal where you live and are there any restrictions

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Are you ready to be a servant? I'm not joking.
These cats learn real fast how to train humans.
And.... could you handle another in the near future?
Many of us end up starting a herd.
They are very dog like. Fetch. Greet you when you come home. Always in your face. Want human (meat) food.

Last edited:

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
They are very loyal and loving with their people, but the best companion for a Savannah is ultimately another Savannah since no human can keep up with their amazing energy level. :)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I have kids with my youngest being 4 and zero plans to add any more. Ever.
Getting a savannah is equivalent to acquiring a toddler so you will be essentially adding another child to the home. Only this one will be more mischievous than your human kids. It's likely a good match to get a SV when you have kids. They'll help drain off the kitten's enormous amount of energy.

As far as savannah specific info, I think one of our mods, Brigitte, describes it best when she says that savannahs are like any other cat, just more. More energy, more focus, more determination, more intensity. You will get a dog-like cat who will make you laugh and love you unlike any other cat you've known. A perfect compromise for you and your husband.

Hina

Site Supporter
I'm an experienced cat owner who loves dogs and is married to a cat lover who doesn't like dogs. -_- Our compromise is a Savannah.

This is one of the reasons why we chose Savannahs. I have a dog-phobia and my husband is a pet lover who loves everything. Savannah is a compromise, a cat who is super intelligent and not skittish but is as friendly as a dog!

I think you should think about the generation of savannah and choose according to your lifestyle among other factors. We chose an F5SBT because we live in a tiny apartment.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I always tell new owners that they need to Savannah-proof their home from floor to ceiling, because like a child they can get into everything, but unlike a child they can also jump - on counters, furniture, bookshelves, etc.

If you haven't decided yet, generation is probably your most important consideration as Hina pointed out. The earlier the generation (closer to the serval ancestor) the more intense the cat will be, and the more expensive it will be. There are several other factors that usually play into a first-time owner's decision when choosing a Savannah - looks, personality, size, etc. You need to decide which is/are most important and then go from there...