Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Hello from Thailand,

stanley

Savannah Teenager
Aww thanks Deb! Just trying to help out!
we went to the cat show but with no luck regarding savannahs, but we did meet two breeders of bengals whose details we took,

P1040902 (Copy).JPG

this is one of them, but no luck with savannahs, but I will mention that Brigitte was 100% correct when she mentioned we might be looking at a serval cat in the market, we were and it was!, out of interest we asked the price, female 2 month old 250,000 baht, an offer which when a gentleman appeared from the back of the shop was repealed, he stated, 'not for sale, all sold' to be fair a serval is not for us as from a few people it appears they can be a bit of a handful, I know this is of no interest to savannah owners but if you want to see a brief look at the show and our day out have a look here

http://stanleykemp.blogspot.com/2016/03/we-are-up-early-again.html

again many thanks for everyones help and interest, best regards, Stanley and Diana.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It looks like a Bengal may be in your future then? Definitely a Serval is a huge commitment and not the average "kitty" to be keeping as a pet without doing a lot of research and being prepared to make a lot of compromises to live with them.

stanley

Savannah Teenager
It looks like a Bengal may be in your future then? Definitely a Serval is a huge commitment and not the average "kitty" to be keeping as a pet without doing a lot of research and being prepared to make a lot of compromises to live with them.
Dear Brigitte, we have looked at the differences between ownership of savannahs and bengals and would truly prefer the savannah but we have not stopped looking for a savannah kitten, the good news is that we will be away for the next few months which will be the end of our travels and that a decision does not need to be made until roughly the first week in august, we are planning ahead so that if we found a breeder we could pay a deposit on a future kitten as an act of good faith for the kitten to be 3 months or so old in august or in the month following that, i hope this all makes sense! best regards, Stanley and Diana.

stanley

Savannah Teenager
Dear Brigitte, we have looked at the differences between ownership of savannahs and bengals and would truly prefer the savannah but we have not stopped looking for a savannah kitten, the good news is that we will be away for the next few months which will be the end of our travels and that a decision does not need to be made until roughly the first week in august, we are planning ahead so that if we found a breeder we could pay a deposit on a future kitten as an act of good faith for the kitten to be 3 months or so old in august or in the month following that, i hope this all makes sense! best regards, Stanley and Diana.
Just a small point I mention that I had read somewhere that a kitten or cat must be in the country of export for 6 months before it can be export into Thailand, I have now found the advice page,

http://thailand.angloinfo.com/moving/moving-pet-animals/entering-thailand/

it is here in the second part of the page,

Paperwork Required for Pets Entering Thailand
  • Export certificate from country of origin arranged either by the pet carrier or vet
  • Import permit obtained on arrival at airport in Thailand from the Animal Import desk
  • Identity and health certificate in English signed by a registered veterinary surgeon in the country of origin describing the:
    • Name and address of owner or kennel
Note: Animals must be resident in the country of export for at least six months before export.

so for us to go this route I guess we must look for a 6 months old kitten, but as we mentioned before we would prefer to buy a kitten in Thailand as I would be concerned about the flight and also the change of diet, many foods and supplements that are available in the UK and elsewhere are most probably not available here, which is why we would prefer a Thailand bred kitten to keep continuity of diet and litter, we have found one out here (many, many, thanks Paige), but her breeding stock is not yet ready, but we will keep in touch in the hope that at some time we will receive some good news, again a plea from the heart if anyone knows of a Thailand based breeder of savannahs please let us know, best regards to all, Stanley and Diana.

Hi, have
Dear all,

these are three of the main sites we have been looking at,

http://www.thaiembassy.org/pretoria/en/business/29701-Importation-of-live-animals-into-Thailand.html

http://tielandtothailand.com/shipping-a-cat-to-thailand/

http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/thailand.cfm

but I cannot find the part where I read that the kitten must be resident of the country of export for 6 months prior to being sent, it may have been that I have read it on one of the many expatriate pages in one of the pet sections, it appear that Thailand requires that puppies and kittens are vaccinated at 3 months and wait for 30 days prior to entering the country, so effectively the kitten will be 4 months old when it arrives for its up to 30 day quarantine, I have to say though that importing a kitten is not the route we would like to travel, we would much rather see the breeder and make a choice then, also I feel that having a breeder nearby would be helpful if heaven forbid there might be any problems, we are also not sure about the strain and stress that would be impose by a 12 hour + International flight would have on our kitten, but many thanks for your kind and helpful comments.

Regarding the import of hybrids again I read somewhere that in Thailand if the cat was a hybrid all was well, but I cannot find the source, (we have read so much over the past few months!), but also read that in Singapore,

Note: Bengal & Savannah cat crosses require additional documented proof that they are at least of a 5th-generation cross of ancestral stock before they are allowed into Singapore.

from this site,

https://www.ecitizen.gov.sg/topics/pages/mobile/topicsdetail.aspx?mpageId=240

we are still hoping that on Friday a breeder of Bengals might have a connection to a savannah breeder, we live in hope! Best regards to all, Stanley and Diana.

Hi Have you been able to get your savannah to Thailand?

stanley

Savannah Teenager
Hi, have

Hi Have you been able to get your savannah to Thailand?
Hi, no we have not, I really need to speak to someone who has done this, the problem being it takes 15 days to obtain an import licence and you must give the airline warning as some flights do not take pets on every flight, we have made the decision to fly back to the UK and buy one there and bring it back with us, but we are worried that we will arrive back in the Uk having bought one and not be able to get on a flight with pet carry on facilities, we are still trying to find someone over here who has gone through the complete process that speaks English so they can take us through it step by step, many thanks for your interest, best regards, Stan and Diana.