Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Hello, from Portugal!

Hello! Me and my boyfriend just got a F6 savannah kitten, Nuer! She's been here for a week now. She is 5 months old. At first she was really frighten and wouldn't stop meowing (think she was calling for her brothers and sisters..), she would run from us and hide all the time. Then we started teasing her with some toys and she just couldn't control herself and started to give in. But I wonder, because she is already 5 months, if she won't adapt to us and won't establish a trusting and confident relationship...
She is really beauty and just loves her reflection in the mirror! ^^

Attachments

• IMG_0222.JPG
    IMG_0222.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 31

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hello! Me and my boyfriend just got a F6 savannah kitten, Nuer! She's been here for a week now. She is 5 months old. At first she was really frighten and wouldn't stop meowing (think she was calling for her brothers and sisters..), she would run from us and hide all the time. Then we started teasing her with some toys and she just couldn't control herself and started to give in. But I wonder, because she is already 5 months, if she won't adapt to us and won't establish a trusting and confident relationship...
She is really beauty and just loves her reflection in the mirror! ^^

Welcome! I'm sure Nuer will be fine - just give her some time...she is still a kitten and just getting used to new smells, a new place and new mom and dad...she will develop a loving relationship with you...talk to her, play with her, pet her...does she allow you to touch her yet?

Welcome! I'm sure Nuer will be fine - just give her some time...she is still a kitten and just getting used to new smells, a new place and new mom and dad...she will develop a loving relationship with you...talk to her, play with her, pet her...does she allow you to touch her yet?

yes, she does, but only if i'm on the ground and after smelling me. It's just that it's common to get kittens younger than 5 months, so that they get used to you more easily. I was just worried about that...

admin

Paige
Staff member
yes, she does, but only if i'm on the ground and after smelling me. It's just that it's common to get kittens younger than 5 months, so that they get used to you more easily. I was just worried about that...

Many people get older kittens and even retired queens and studs, so you are not alone...just ask Pam And Will...their new boy is a bit over a year old, I believe!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Welcome! Nuer is a beautiful girl! Don't worry about her being a little shy, it is not that unusual, regardless of the age of the kitten or cat. Just continue doing what you are doing, don't try to force the relationship with her, just let her adjust at her own pace. Do you have her quarantined in a small room so that she can get used to that before venturing out into the rest of the world?

Welcome! Nuer is a beautiful girl! Don't worry about her being a little shy, it is not that unusual, regardless of the age of the kitten or cat. Just continue doing what you are doing, don't try to force the relationship with her, just let her adjust at her own pace. Do you have her quarantined in a small room so that she can get used to that before venturing out into the rest of the world?
I'll do that :) yes, she is in our room. But i can't wait to show her the rest and introduce her to the garden!

Thank you all for the nice welcome! We're really excited for having her! One thing that is really funny, is that she likes to walk around with our clothes (specially socks...don't ask why), so i'm always finding clothes under the bed or in the bath tub!

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Beetlebum! Nuri is a cutie!
As the others have said it's just a break in period for her. 5 months is still very young and she's just warming up to her new.. everything... smells, noise, walls, floors and people in them. We keep reminding ourselves that a week ago to Leto he was in a completely different world. He's been here one week today and we still are not allowed to touch him. ;) Just a bit ago he jumped up on the couch with me for the first time, with the encouragement of a feather toy and blanket. He was having a ball as long as I didn't try to reach out to him... though I did have to back up a few inches as he mad dashed under the blanket claws out for fear he wouldn't see he had reached me!

So you are making great progress, just keep in mind that to them all has changed and it'll take a while to sink in that the new people around are there to love her.. not someone who nabbed her from her home! :eek:

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
One thing that is really funny, is that she likes to walk around with our clothes (specially socks...don't ask why), so i'm always finding clothes under the bed or in the bath tub!

My wife gets a laugh that Leto has a thing for my socks and her shirts... so I've just gotten use to giving up a pair for a day once I get new ones. Cause the clean ones just don't seem to do it for him! LOL

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Welcome Beetlebum! Nuer is a pretty girl and I am sure will come around. 5 months is not that old really, as long as a kitten has been properly socialized she should be just fine :)

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I got Nyah at about this age, and she was very,very shy. In fact, our breeder warned us about her "special" personality. She turned 1 the middle of July and is an absolute cuddle bug. She is always with us,in our lap, on our computer,you name it. She can still be skittish, but quickly gets over it. She won't let people she doesn't know touch her, but she doesn't hide any more. She is an f2, so she isn't a fan of being picked up,but will let us.

Let Nuer do it on her timetable, you will be amazed at how attached she will become and what a great kitty you have!