Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Health guarantees on a kitten

Michaela

Savannah Super Cat
Hmmm, in my experience the males more often look nicer than the females - it was the bane of Savannah breeders before we started producing fertile Savannah males. Many a prayer to the sex change fairy went unanswered over the years... :roflmao:

I thought boys grow bigger but my SV is more then expected.
I thought that my SV was a F2B
with 30% serval but it may be a F4 high percent
I may have misunderstood the F
I have to ask Arden
I posted my pictures on the F2 tittle and he is 10 mo at 16 lb big already.

Any one have experience with genetic breed testing to determine the mix of breed - at UCDAVIS

I sent my SV blood to Dr Lyons Lab
to test for HCM but there are no gene yet for SV or BG cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michaela L

Michaela

Savannah Super Cat
Actually he is more F2 but registered as 'F4'

More F2 by percent from a high percent mom that was F3

So he is acting and growing bigger
Now he is 16 lb big kitten

Why is he not eligible for competition
-The percent
-The F 2
-The undeclared mix
-The Bengal presence in the mix

Need to ask or get a degree in TICA interpretation
Read your TICA note Agato web but did not take the time to absorb all

Michaela L

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Any one have experience with genetic breed testing to determine the mix of breed - at UCDAVIS

I've not heard that there is such a test for cats, only for dogs

I sent my SV blood to Dr Lyons Lab
to test for HCM but there are no gene yet for SV or BG cats.

I would not waste my money on HCM testing for a Savannah unless you know there is Maine Coon or Ragdoll in the pedigree (the two breeds that there is an HCM test for)

Michaela L

Patti

Admin
Staff member
More F2 by percent from a high percent mom that was F3

So he is acting and growing bigger
Now he is 16 lb big kitten

Why is he not eligible for competition
-The percent
-The F 2
-The undeclared mix
-The Bengal presence in the mix

Need to ask or get a degree in TICA interpretation
Read your TICA note Agato web but did not take the time to absorb all
As Brigitte explained, your Savannahs needs to be SBT, in other words he needs to have three generations of Savannah x Savannah breeding - parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents all need to be Savannahs. Since he has a Bengal grandmother, he is ineligible for showing.

Michaela L

Michaela

Savannah Super Cat

Thank you
The DR Lyons lab is research and free except vet to draw lab and fed ex the specimen to them .
He was poked for labs anyway so no extra poke or drive .

Michaela L

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Interesting, usually the tests are $40 each. Which research study is it for? Bengals, Savannahs, or ??

Michaela

Savannah Super Cat
Interesting, usually the tests are $40 each. Which research study is it for? Bengals, Savannahs, or ??

Any domestic cat owner or breeder

The cost to you is that you have to draw a blood sample and or send buccal swabs is all. Instructions on the website.

Leslie A. Lyons, PhD
Gilbreath-McLorn Endowed Professor of Comparative Medicine
Department of Veterinary Medicine & Surgery
College of Veterinary Medicine
E109 Vet Med Building, 1600 E. Rollins St.
University of Missouri - Columbia
Columbia, MO 65211
Lyonsla@Missouri.edu Phone: 01 573 882 9777
Lab: 01 573 884 2287 Lab e-mail:

They have an Grant to decode the feline genetic chromosomal make.
They are trying to do a test like in dogs for the feline version .

Michaela L

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Oh yes, Leslie Lyons will take DNA samples but you won't necessarily get any results...she collects DNA for future studies and it is free to send those swabs in.

What Patti is referring to is that there is a number of tests you can pay to get results on...including the HCM gene for certain cat breeds.

As far as I know, there is no DNA test that will reliably detect the breed of the cat. Nor the % of "wild" blood in a cat.

Michaela

Savannah Super Cat
Oh yes, Leslie Lyons will take DNA samples but you won't necessarily get any results...she collects DNA for future studies and it is free to send those swabs in.

What Patti is referring to is that there is a number of tests you can pay to get results on...including the HCM gene for certain cat breeds.

As far as I know, there is no DNA test that will reliably detect the breed of the cat. Nor the % of "wild" blood in a cat.

If I get any pertinent results I'll post
Thk

Michaela L