Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Feliway Diffusers

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
The Feliway doesn't touch Eddie, but it relaxes Mojo... I must have missed: How old is the friends kitten? How long has she had it & has she talked to the Breeder ? Also is this the kittens first home or was a rehoming involved? What generation, the higher the generation the higher the energy levels...

Snookie

Savannah Super Cat
The Feliway doesn't touch Eddie, but it relaxes Mojo... I must have missed: How old is the friends kitten? How long has she had it & has she talked to the Breeder ? Also is this the kittens first home or was a rehoming involved? What generation, the higher the generation the higher the energy levels...
My friends cat is an F4, and shes 7 months, almost 8 now, and shes had her for just over 3 months. No she was not rehomed, she got her straight from the breeder. Yes she has talked to the breeder, but the breeder is no help but actually yesterday Mary told me that shes connected with someone from another part of the country that is having similar issues with her boy. So they are connecting and their issues are similar. Shes read a lot of threads from other people on this site where people are concerned about their babies wellbeing and felt upset how they were told to accept them the way they are and that is could be just who the cat is. It is not the case, these cats from what we are discovering were kept in cages for many hours a day and werent handled a whole lot, so they are scared as touch is something they know nothing about. Shes tried several rememdies, comfort zone, feliway, calming treats, bachs rescue remedy, and she just recieved nutricalm as well. Oh and Athena had the calm diet, and nothing has worked. Sure maybe it might take the edge of, but how do you get these cats to trust that you arent going to lock them up in a cage, they have been traumatized. Oh she met with an animal behaviourist a month or more ago, not sure exactly when, and they confirmed what everyone else has said. Not enough handling, love, touch. Told her to associate good things with touch. treats, food, etc. And that hasnt really worked either.

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
Tiime... & she needs to reread some of these posts, there are SUCCESS stories IN HERE with these kttens... but yeah, this takes TIME, PATIENCE, & LOVE. If you yourself have already purchased a kitten from the same breeder I would understand your questions but most are not like this; my Eddie came running out of his crate, straight up my leg, nosing my chin & PURRING...he is EVERYTHING Kelli promised & so much more!

Snookie

Savannah Super Cat
Your very lucky, and no I am not going with the same breeder. Something doesnt jive with this breeder for me personally. Just trying to help a friend out, and Im learning as I go along

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
I think I understand that the kitten was ~ 5 months when she got it? I would wonder if a previous sale fell thru before your friend bought the kitten... anyways look around & you will see a few posts about this. try searching under the word: Quarantine...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Everyone is coming to the same conclusion. Lack of love, touch, care, perhaps locked in a cage during her first few weeks of life. Now she is trying to repair the damage. Not a simple thing.
You're probably tired of hearing us say "time and patience" but that is what it will take to help this poor baby. And "time" can mean years. Your friend needs to decide if she wants to spend the time it will take with no guarantee that the cat will ever be what she may wish for. There will be improvement but how much and if it will be enough for your friend is the big question.

It will take sleeping in the room with the cat; sitting in the room quietly, talking quietly to the cat; slow baby steps forward with giant leaps backward. Building trust with an animal that is afraid and lacks confidence is a big challenge. I can't remember if there's another cat in the house. Getting the cat a well-socialized and calm companion may be the key that unlocks that fortress of fear. It doesn't have to be a savannah but it does need to be a confident cat.

These stories of people who breed cats without regard for their well-being makes me furious. I consider them backyard breeders, not true breeders.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Reiki is a form of energy healing, not completely different from some homeopathic remedies. It is the ability to send healing energy from one to another. It is largely unpredictable in the areas it works, but can never do any harm. For instance, if a pet owner noticed a limp and gave Reiki, it doesn't mean it would work on the limp or make it go away, but the owner might notice a change elsewhere, most especially on their mental health.

I have had some good luck treating animals with traumatizing pasts with Reiki. It helps clear out the negative energy they are carrying from that past, and helps reinforce love and positivity. Sometimes you will notice a difference in just one session, and other times it takes a bit longer.

I would really encourage Mary to look into it and maybe contact a practitioner near her as some hands on Reiki is usually a bit more dynamic. She can have Reiki done distantly as well, which still works well. She will still need to put all that time and patience in, but Reiki can speed the healing process up and really make a difference. My parrot is the perfect example of the miracles Reiki can do.