Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

F1 vs F2?

Mike

Savannah Kitten
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about getting a Savannah cat and I'm not sure if a F1 or a F2 would be more suitable. I'm wondering if it is safe to leave the cats at home when I'm at work?

I'm very patient with animals but I'm not sure which ones would be a better fit. I do like the serval looks and their dog like behaviour but in terms of training and having as a cat, which would be a more difficult cat. I did read online that every cat is different, so I'm not sure what to think.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I don't think in general that as far as training there is much difference between and f1 or f2. You will get more of a variety of personalities in the F2 based on their outcrosses. The f1 is simply more of everything - more intense, more stubborn, more affectionate, more easily distracted, harder player, etc. You can leave your kitten/cat at home while at work but it might be easily bored and find its own entertainment if left to its own devices - and this pretty much goes for any generation.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I agree with Patti, there is a lot of individual differences but in general the F1 is simply MORE.

In terms of leaving cats at home while you work, I think it is fine but that an only cat might get lonely and bored...hence more trouble might ensue while you are away. As long as they have a kitty or doggy companion I think mostly they do just fine :)

Mike

Savannah Kitten
2 cats would be ideal, but I don't think I can handle two pets at this time. What generation do you think would work if I left the pet at home when I work?? I wouldn't want to leave the pet confined into a single room.

waitingforgeorge

George's brother
George works for me because he has been with me, and is with me, everyday since he was 8 weeks old. He needs sleep and is confined to a safe area for naps and at night, very closely supervised when awake for his own safety. Him biting a cord scares me to death, and he would too. I have not been on much because we have been traveling, George too, and he was the bomb! Had a blast, was great on the airplane and the hotel (he had a large crate for when he was alone in room) My sister who was home with the kids thanked me for taking him with me cause he is like a small ADHD kid around the house. He travels in a car seat type crate when I pick kids up from school everyday and has a harness and leash for walking. He is kept very busy and safely confined when he can't be with me which works for us. I think he would have been a differant cat altogether if he had been left to his own devices most of the time in the beginning.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I think a lower generation might be better for someone who wants an only cat and works all day...perhaps an F5 or F6 and lower...although remember savannah cats are extremely curious and intelligent and need lots of stimulation.

I was away for a few days and had friends come in the morning and evening to feed and clean litterboxes and my F6 was fine - no damage...but he has LOTS of vertical territory...he is also way more laid back than my F4...but she was with me.

Medesha

Savannah Super Cat
*Out of curiosity, how far away do the later generations go?

Back on topic though, I think it depends on how many hours you're away at work, and what the kitty can occupy itself with in the meantime, and if there's enough play before and after you leave. If you're gone for ages, I might recommend getting the kitty a companion, or someone to come in and play with the kitty a little while, while you're out.

My Vakai's nowhere near an F1 or F2, and lets out this long cry if I leave him for more than ten minutes. I'm getting him more toys, but I know that's not going to be enough- or at least that's what I keep telling myself.... think I just want an excuse for another SV.

*walks off muttering* If I get a girl, I'll name her Vessa....

K

Kronos

I sometimes wonder if an F5 is too much lol! Kronos really is unhappy when I leave him alone, he cries and cries. Good thing he has a dog and cat companion... couldn't imagine what would happen if he were a single pet!