Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Early Spay/Neuter

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Does it make a growth difference in cats if they are spayed/neutered early? Zeddie will be coming home already spayed in August, and I was wondering if it mattered. My sister goes on and on about how it is detrimental to their growth and I don't know if her theory is grounded or not.

K

Kronos

No it wont stunt growth at all. Spaying and neutering early have actually shown to cause the bones to grow longer than they would if not spayed or neutered, because the growth plates may close a bit later than normal.

The only thing some worry about are links between recurring UTIs and early neuter in males... but nothing is proven. Kronos came home at 10 weeks old already neutered, so far no UTIs or any problems. Solo was neutered at the same age and has had 3 episodes of UTIs. Who knows really.

admin

Paige
Staff member
The early neutering of males causing UTI's is kind of passé...Taj was neutered at 5 months and Cisco at 4 months with absolutely no issues...Taj is almost 3 and cisco is 9.

I think it is more likely that dry food was causing the UTI issue and probably still is, but back then, they had not the research on dry that they do now.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Thanks! I think she is being spayed at 10 weeks...I am bringing her home at 13.
My cousin has a bengal mix and he had him neutered at 4 months, and says his head is much smaller than his body because of it. I know in dogs it can make a difference, but wasn't sure in cats

B

Breheart

My sister and I always have compared the growth and size of Keljin and Kronos, since they were neutered at different ages and are only 1 week apart in age. Kronos was a GIANT baby and young kitten, and hit his current weight way sooner. He was neutered at 10 weeks.

Keljin on the other hand was neutered at 4 months, and he was a runt and always small for his age. He finally caught up in size now at 9 months old. (he is still smaller though, by a few pounds. he also has the issue of small head, large body)

I believe the cat will grow to whatever their genes allow regardless of when they are neutered.

Isn't having a head that seems slightly disponportionate to their body a serval trait? Also a medium length tail too right? I'm just wondering, as I think Zeus may be developing into the smallish head to body thing and medium lenght tail, where Abu seems proportionate ... (just plain huge) head and tail included.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
Isn't having a head that seems slightly disponportionate to their body a serval trait? Also a medium length tail too right? I'm just wondering, as I think Zeus may be developing into the smallish head to body thing and medium lenght tail, where Abu seems proportionate ... (just plain huge) head and tail included.
Kovu's head seems smaller than it should be.. Glenn is always asking when his head is going to grow... lol His head is about the only thing small on his body.

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 24

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, a proportionally small head is a Serval trait...as is a shorter tail :)