Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Does your cat yell at you?

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
It's been 3 and a half months with Jengo and we adore him (he has his own facebook fan page, that's how much I love him!)

I think he has adjusted really well to our home and we've done a good job of setting boundaries and Jengo is pretty good at following them when he wants to.

The only thing that is a little weird is he yells at me. Like he walks up to my chair and sits down and meows at the top of his lungs and if I don't recognize him right away he will sit and just meow. When I do bend over and pet him and ask him what he wants he'll just keep meowing. So now I've started getting up, squatting down, petting him, then standing up and he just meows and walks off, looks behind him like he wants me to follow him so I do and all he does is meow and go to his scratching post. When I come home he will run at the door, meow at the top of his lungs for a few minutes while sitting and staring at me. He let's me pet him but he just keeps going. If I go into another room he will sit outside and meow in array of different tones! If he sees me across the room he meows. When I wake up in the morning he gets nose to nose to me and meows really loud!

So, sometimes I'm not sure if he's happy or just likes the sound of his own meows or what. he only does it to me, not boyfriend. Maybe he doesn't respect me? LOL!

admin

Paige
Staff member
I think he just wants your attention...Taj does the same thing...if you ignore him, he will probably stop ;)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Some cats are just vocal ones... my Babbage is a bit of a whiney puss, but I've put that down to his early life of illness making him tend to complaints. He will yell when it is food time, but mostly the other times it is little whines that seem almost conversational. Most of mine are quiet fortunately!

admin

Paige
Staff member
This is true, B...Taj has started yelling at me, since Zuri has been gone, which is what he did as a kitten before she arrived...I think he will be happy to have her home ;)

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
I'm glad this is normal! Honestly, it's the funniest thing sometimes - I always cave into him right away though which makes it hard to get anything done because he's always yelling! And telling him to use his inside voice doesn't help much either, lol!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I have one who talks constantly and is whiney when he wants attention. I have one who does yell -- when he wants to go for a walk, when he thinks it's dinner time (and it's only 10 a.m.:)), when we're out on a walk because he's happy, and for sure when I do something that either hurts his feelings or makes him mad. Then I have one who yodels. Must have some Swiss heritage in him.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yep - know what you mean, Deborah...Zuri never stops talking...even though Taj is yelling at me, it is still quiet around here...and the cat wheel is silent ;)

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
Oh goodness I would LOVE another Savannah!!!!! I want another SO bad! Although part of me is hesitant because he is my whole world (I know that sounds silly) and I'm not sure what another kitty would do to Jengo - he's awfully insecure.