Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Daytona Climbs a Tree

cmantis

Savannah Super Cat
I call hoax. No way that is the same cute little kitten you brought home not too long ago. That cat is huge and leaping limbs like a lizard.

Daytona Says What?!

Savannah Super Cat
I call hoax. No way that is the same cute little kitten you brought home not too long ago. That cat is huge and leaping limbs like a lizard.
Haha, he's just over 8 months now, and I've had him almost 6. He weights about 14 lbs. now, but seems to be leveling out. He may have a later growth spurt, as I've heard these guys can grow for over a year, but he really hasn't gained much weight in the past month and he doesn't eat all crazy like he used to.

He remains my little gentleman. He's become very active recently, needing maybe twice the play time to wear him out, but still very good-natured and never once aggressive. His leaping and jumping when we play in our "obstacle course" (my living room) simply astonishes me. It's like going to an animal circus. Our walks are a mixed bag of a lot of distance covered and stubborn-ish circles, but I guess that's how it goes. I've been gone for a week out of town a few times, and the cat sitter and friends came 2-3 times / day to play with him, but he didn't go on walks, so I think he lost the rhythm a bit.

He's been fickle with his food recently and won't eat what I put down right away like he used to devour it on the spot. I'm thinking that temperature may have something to do with it, as maybe he waits for it to warm up a bit, but he used to jump right in to it when it was cold. His "go to" has always been Rad Cat lamb, but he'll eat the turkey, and for a quick spell, the beef. He won't eat the beef right now and wouldn't touch the venison that we tried last week. He's in to Stella's rabbit and goose, so that's what we're having this week. He of course will ALWAYS murder a Raw Instincts chicken neck or a can of tuna fish, but I keep those to every three days or so as they are unsupplemented. I think that maybe those are part of the reason that he gets fickle about his "real" food, but he just loves them so much, it's hard to say no.

I'm still working from home, and he follows me everywhere. He takes a nap in his room (I turned my old office room in to his room when I got him) about 3-4 hours a day, which helps me concentrate on what I'm doing.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
He is gorgeous. About the food...have you tried adding chunks of meat into his regular food? Like beef, pork, or chicken? It might help to keep him interested. My guys are whole prey eaters but I still buy venison, goat and buffalo from hare-today for variety and stew meat from the grocery store.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
My furkids like their food warmed up to proper mouse body temperature even though it is simply raw and not whole prey. I heat a cup of water (hot, not boiling) in the microwave and float the bowls of food for 10 minutes and that does the trick. As an added bonus, when they hear the 10 minute beeper go off, they know it is feeding time and come running.

Daytona Says What?!

Savannah Super Cat
He is gorgeous. About the food...have you tried adding chunks of meat into his regular food? Like beef, pork, or chicken? It might help to keep him interested. My guys are whole prey eaters but I still buy venison, goat and buffalo from hare-today for variety and stew meat from the grocery store.

Daytona says "grazi" for the complement. :)

Thanks for the input. Not really. Well, I did try to mix in the tuna fish (which is pretty chunky) in to the Rad Cat beef, but he wasn't having it. I think he had a tummy ache (I found a lot of weird colored stuff in his poop -- I think it maybe was part of a chew toy) and associated it with the beef. That's happened with most all of his food at least once before. I will try that. Stew meat from the store.

Are the whole prey things from Hare Today supplemented?

Daytona Says What?!

Savannah Super Cat
My furkids like their food warmed up to proper mouse body temperature even though it is simply raw and not whole prey. I heat a cup of water (hot, not boiling) in the microwave and float the bowls of food for 10 minutes and that does the trick. As an added bonus, when they hear the 10 minute beeper go off, they know it is feeding time and come running.

I'll give that a try too, but I'll have to do it differently as I feed him on plates. Would micro or toaster oven not be a good idea because it would partially cook it? Just leaving it out (away from him) until it's warm probably works too. I think as long as it isn't out for hours, bacteria isn't a problem.