Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Chausies

admin

Paige
Staff member
For anyone that has a Chausie...what is so amazing about them? What generation do you or have you had?

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Chausies are incredible cats. I have had 2 HP F2s, and their antics are so funny and endearing. They are not that much different from the same gen savannahs, except in my household, where a savannah would hesitate to go all the way with something, the chausie never does. Also, they could easily leap up to the 8 foot ceiling from a sitting position to get a toy. Neither were 100% with the litterbox, though, while all my savannahs are.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thanks, jacq, that is very good info to know. I'm assuming the litterbox habits are individually-related and don't apply to all chausies, of course...

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Well, I don't know, I only had the 2, and neither were great. I hope it isn't all chausies. I know that the first one's problems were because the breeder didn't confine the kittens at a young age to learn good box habits. They had the run of the house too soon. The second one peed on all the cat beds, the couches and my bed when he got the chance. Don't know where that came from.

Bobbie

Savannah Kitten
The only Chausie I have had that "punished" me by not using the litter box was my first F1. If I changed something in her environment that she did not like she would forget to use the litter box for a couple of weeks to punish me and then would go back to using it..
The two retired/spayed F1s I currently have are impeccable in their litter box habits and my later gen. cats all use the box with no problems.
I would say if some is having problems or has had problems it is because something upset the cat which is basically the same with all cats of all breeds.

Bobbie

Savannah Kitten
Another thing to think about.......we think the earlier generation Chausie may have a bit shorter intestinal tract due the closeness to the Jungle Cat....which means that they cannot tolerate the grain that a purely domestic cat can. Any time a cat has loose stools or diarrhea it is not as fastidious in it's litter box habits.

I've heard people say that their Chausies had IBD over the years but most of the time they were early gen. cats that were fed primarily dry food. I do leave down dry but i also feed both raw and canned in addition. My early gen. cats have no problems at all.