Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cats at odds

M

MK Anderson

Okay, this is not about my Savannah, but my other 2 cats. Chloe and Pergie have never really been buds. Keeba gets along with both and loves all! In the last couple weeks things between Chloe and Pergie have escalate and I'm not sure what to do.
Chloe is a hissy girl and the Queen! Well, out of the blue Pergie attack Chloe. I was sitting right there(we all were)..He pulled a big hunk of hair out and bite her(she bleed and has a gash) and her ear too. I did separate and try to re-introduce, but Pergie will start following her(stalking like)...This really stinks because I really want to get another Savannah(had one I liked), but feel the end result might not be good and I CANNOT RETURN A CAT. I'm a forever cat keeper, lol.

So this is what I've done; Pergie had a full work up at the vet to make sure nothing was wrong with him and they upped his meds. amitriptyline. tried calm collars. I play with them a few times a day. Have lots of high spaces and toys when I'm away from home. right now I just keep them apart. I have two rooms that are set up and work between them with those rooms. I do have them out together at times, but watch and keep it limited. Chloe is a loner, but she does love Keeba. Pergie and Keeba both are not loners love to be together. I am almost wondering if this is a jealous thing. I'm not stressed or at my wits end! I just want happiness. My home is large so I make it possible to keep them out of each others hair.

I should have thrown this out when Marilyn was on, but unfortunately I was dealing with another issue at the time and was not on much, so I missed most of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20120402_073048.jpg
    IMG_20120402_073048.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 24
I assume everyone is spayed/neutered? How long have they known each other, i.e. who is the newcomer? Any changes in the household recently? Any toms in the neighborhood hanging around or marking near or on the house?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
MK it sounds like you have tried many things to improve the situation. Have you tried the Nutricalm that Paige used when she took Zuri down to NC? That seemed to work really well for her, I wonder if it would work for Pergie as well. Otherwise, separation may be the best answer. I have a couple of girls that I simply cannot keep together, and one girl who will beat up any cat that shows me attention. I have also observed that these behaviors tend to get worse as the cats get older. I hope you find a solution that works for everyone!

M

MK Anderson

I assume everyone is spayed/neutered? How long have they known each other, i.e. who is the newcomer? Any changes in the household recently? Any toms in the neighborhood hanging around or marking near or on the house?

They are all spayed/neutered! Chloe showed up at our home when she was 3-4ms old and weighted 1 1/2 pounds. I think she was dumped! I later found out that she had been living in the neighbors garaged for 3-4weeks before she came to my door. It took a lot of work just to get Chloe to trust and her and my hubby are buds. I got Pergie when he was 7weeks old and Chloe was 5ms. So they have pretty much grown up together, but have never been close. I don't have a newcomer, but I was going to purchase a savannah! I unfortunately and unreluctantly decided not to because I was afraid of the situation might escalating. When Chloe was a kitten we had a Tom feral, but he was trapped and I think put down :(!
I got keeba 3yrs ago, so Pergie could have a bud and they are very close always together. When I brought Keeba in the house it was a good thing(not the first week tho. lol) But he really takes to both of them. Keeba is a lot more energy and can wear pergie out and that when I have to take over and play with him. this is why I wanted another and because I love the breed.
Keeba is the most well behave here!!! :)

M

MK Anderson

MK it sounds like you have tried many things to improve the situation. Have you tried the Nutricalm that Paige used when she took Zuri down to NC? That seemed to work really well for her, I wonder if it would work for Pergie as well. Otherwise, separation may be the best answer. I have a couple of girls that I simply cannot keep together, and one girl who will beat up any cat that shows me attention. I have also observed that these behaviors tend to get worse as the cats get older. I hope you find a solution that works for everyone!
I have not tired that I think I will order some. Keeba loves both the cat and will walk over and lick and touch nose with Chloe...Do you think Pergie could be jealous of that? I just glad a have nice size rooms and a big home to keep them apart. Chloe is fine by herself and she sleeps with Kyllie at night, but Pergie and especially Keeba could never be a only cat.

admin

Paige
Staff member
MK, is it possible that something is wrong with Chloe? When Taj was sick, Cisco kept stalking him...and Cisco never does that..he is often afraid of his own shadow.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Yes, it is possible that Pergie is jealous of the attention Keeba gives Chloe. I also think Paige has a point about possibly something wrong with Chloe, although from your description I'm not sure how easy it would be for a vet to examine her. I think trying the Nutricalm might be a good first step, but if you have to keep them separated, well that's not the end of the world...

M

MK Anderson

Ya know, I was just thinking the same thing and went online and was reading that a cat will stalk a sick cat and become violent toward the sick cat! When I was gone today the girls let Chloe out and Pergie I guess got up as soon as he seen her and jumped on her, <sigh> she has a bigger maker by her leg now. Pergie just started stalking her about 5-6mos ago, but just got violent in the last two weeks. They have never been buds, but he has never done this before. I so will call vet tomorrow.

I just remember I had septic people here 2-3weeks ago, but they were put away and couldn't see anything and thats the only major thing done here.

M

MK Anderson

Yes, it is possible that Pergie is jealous of the attention Keeba gives Chloe. I also think Paige has a point about possibly something wrong with Chloe, although from your description I'm not sure how easy it would be for a vet to examine her. I think trying the Nutricalm might be a good first step, but if you have to keep them separated, well that's not the end of the world...

Chloe is pretty easy at the vet. It is not the end of the world and Thank you for reminding me because I feel guilty at time, but she still gets a lot of attention and has a couple rooms that are set up for cats.