Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Bloody diarreah - 20 week old Savannah kitten

katnoir

Savannah Super Cat
Hello,

I'm fairly new to Savannahcatchat so I hope I am following the rules by posting here. My 20 week old Savnnah kitten has had a history of diarreah on and off since we got him the last week of August. He came from an "pretty much everything negative cattery". Our vet has had him on metronidazole for a short time and now he is on Tylosin and a high energy canned GI food. He had had an PCR panel done for uncommon parasites and the like; all came back negative except for Corona virus. He sneezes constantly. He also seems to be very sensitive to Orijen kibble and Evo canned food. Since he has been moved to Tylosin and the GI diet, the diarreah has settled down to soft poops - formed, but soft, with some drips of poop, sometimes at the end of the poop. Once, there was a drop of blood at the end of one poop, but I examed many subsequent poops and no blood. Today, however, he had diarreah again, jumped out of the litterbox and then proceeded to do another diarreah on the floor. This time it was mucousy and very bloody. I could not find anything foreign in the litterbox or the diarreah he did on the floor.

Last night we did discover that one of my daughter's soft earbud covers was missing and we found the other in front of the scratching post....it is small, hollow, and very soft and flexible -- almost like one of those ear thermometer covers, but smaller. I worry that baby swallowed it. Does this mean that he needs an xray or worse? Could he possibly pass this? Our DSH swallowed something last year - although she was vomiting a lot- and was not passing anything, so I gave her high doses of hairball remedy for a day and a half and the object slipped right out. Should I try this, or do we possibly have a larger problem given the history?

I've not given him any food this morning and am just waiting for my vet's office to open...any suggestions?

admin

Paige
Staff member
it is fine that you posted here...he should go to the vet, based on this current discovery and I would find out if he was tested for TriTrich...also, have you tried feeding him raw food? he may be sensitive ot whatever grains are in the food you are feeding him, so perhaps grain free kibble/canned or try some raw...but I would wait until he sees the vet.

I'm sure others will weigh in here...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It sounds like your kitty may have IBD or IBS which can sometimes be treated by diet change but also someimes requires medications. I'm not sure what GI food you are trying but consider a limited ingredient diet such as Nature's Balance Green Pea and Duck.

As for swallowing teh ear bud cover, if he is not vomiting and his bowels are overactive anyway he may pass it on his own. However, a visit to the vet may be worth while, if nothing else then to put your mind at ease. On the other hand, if you don't see it passing and he starts vomiting, bloating, or having watery diarrhea without any substance you might want to proceed with a barium swallow just to be sure...

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
watch out for the foods with potato starches as binders. evo uses potatoe and many cats dont tolerate it well. i agree tritrich should be ruled out as well.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
Corona virus can cause diarrhea. There isn't much you can do about it as it is viral. I don't know if an antiviral would work here?

Per Lausund

Staff member
Hi, sorry I´m late again here, something called work pops up to keep me busy once in a while!

Katnoir, you seem to have one worry and one problem.
They should be settled at the same time: please, make sure your vet does the barium swallow and x-ray: the barium swallow will show any obstruction and is often beneficial in itself: stabilizes the intestine, no-one knows quite why.
You do, however , need to keep your cat off food for about 24 hours (but provide free access to water at all times) just to give the intestinal mucosa (which does all the work absorbing nutrients, producing antibodies against unwanted microbes, in fact runs the whole intestinal show) time to recuperate. After that, careful feeding with COOKED chicken or COOKED ground meat, with an additional helping of some kind of probiotic: yoghurt does nicely, so does creme fraiche (but that may be a little too fat for the cat). From there you can gradually (days and weeks, not hours!) proceed to raw if you wish, but you need to give the intestinal flora a chance to stabilize. Antibiotics (as prescribed by your vet and used accordingly by you) tend to fight this (but are a necessary part of treatment), so always probiotics (lactobacillus and such) when using them. If the diarrhoea stops with this, you may want to stop changing things, or move on to dry food. Carefully.
Good luck, and keep us updated.
It sounds to me like there is an URI as well here, that needs to be considered as well.
:)
Per

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
When was the last dose of antibiotics given before you did the pcr? You should wait at least 1 month of antibiotic and dewormer free before taking a stool into do a pcr. A vet will say 2 weeks, but you can still get a lot if false negatives in a fecal pcr because the amount of organism is too small. Also did you do a fecal float? Alot of parasites and also
Coccidiosis which can cause bloody diahreah is not tested on a pcr.
I agree with probiotics, the vets have specific ones for the intestinal flora of a cat, it should also be given 2 hours before or after any meds.
Angie

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Savannahcatchat so I hope I am following the rules by posting here. My 20 week old Savnnah kitten has had a history of diarreah on and off since we got him the last week of August. He came from an "pretty much everything negative cattery". Our vet has had him on metronidazole for a short time and now he is on Tylosin and a high energy canned GI food. He had had an PCR panel done for uncommon parasites and the like; all came back negative except for Corona virus. He sneezes constantly. He also seems to be very sensitive to Orijen kibble and Evo canned food. Since he has been moved to Tylosin and the GI diet, the diarreah has settled down to soft poops - formed, but soft, with some drips of poop, sometimes at the end of the poop. Once, there was a drop of blood at the end of one poop, but I examed many subsequent poops and no blood. Today, however, he had diarreah again, jumped out of the litterbox and then proceeded to do another diarreah on the floor. This time it was mucousy and very bloody. I could not find anything foreign in the litterbox or the diarreah he did on the floor.

Last night we did discover that one of my daughter's soft earbud covers was missing and we found the other in front of the scratching post....it is small, hollow, and very soft and flexible -- almost like one of those ear thermometer covers, but smaller. I worry that baby swallowed it. Does this mean that he needs an xray or worse? Could he possibly pass this? Our DSH swallowed something last year - although she was vomiting a lot- and was not passing anything, so I gave her high doses of hairball remedy for a day and a half and the object slipped right out. Should I try this, or do we possibly have a larger problem given the history?

I've not given him any food this morning and am just waiting for my vet's office to open...any suggestions?
Hello,

hi,my savannah also had bloody diahria for weeks when we received him from a cattery. He had every test for worms, parasites,etc. it all came back negative. So we went to see a nutrionest, and changed his diet to just turkey. His diahria stopped in one week. We think it is allergies or food sensitivities. I recommend you see a vet nutrionest .