Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Best tricks for giving medicine?

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
I have been prescribed a hairball medicine for Kins since he keeps throwing up every few days and other wise seems fine. It is a molasses like goop. My vet suggested putting it on his paw. Obviously he won't like it there and will thus lick it off and get it in his system. I've done this twice and I feel like a jerk as he twitches his paw and meows and licks furiously.. Any better ideas?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Have you tried just offering it to him? I have found most cats rather like the flavor and will lick it right out of the tube. Alternatively you can squeeze out a glop of it and sprinkle kitty crack (the dust at the bottom of the freeze dried chicken treats jar) over it to get him to eat it. However, putting it on his paw is an oft used method and if it works and he won't eat it otherwise, I don't see any reason not to continue giving it to him this way.

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
I will see if he prefers to lick the tube or off my hand. If neither work I will continue using his paw. Thank you!!

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
Charlotte has now thrown up a few times as well.. She likes the stuff so she licks it off my finger. Kinsler, not so much! So I am sticking to the paw method for him!